Interior Designer Sr. - Disney Cruise LineApply NowApply Later Job ID 10041887 Location Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Mar. 16, 2023
The Sr. Interior Designer will create interior design magic to deliver the most memorable Disney Cruise Line guest experience “Where Magic Meets the Sea”! This specialized role requires previous cruise line interiors experience.
The Sr. Interior Designer reports to the Manager, Interior Design and leads a team of 3-5 interior designers.
A portfolio review is required for this position. For full consideration, please include a link to your portfolio or website with your résumé. We will be especially interested in examples of your cruise line interiors accomplishments!
The Walt Disney Imagineering Interior Design team is responsible for the design of interior spaces in our theme parks, primarily restaurants, retail, theaters and attraction queue lines. Also responsible for the design, or design oversight, of our hotels and cruise ships. The scope of work encompasses conceptual design through contract documentation, including specifications of all materials and furnishings.
On any given day, as a Sr. Interior Designer, you might:
- Fulfill the role of project lead Interior Designer under the leadership of the Design Manager, in collaboration with business segments, i.e. Disney Cruise Line, ED&E disciplines, Creative, Show/Ride, Design & Production and Operating partners.
- Depending on the size of the project, may provide support to project lead/Interior Designer for design and implementation aspects of assigned projects.
- Support implementation of project goals/objectives through problem-solving and development of design solutions. Ensures adherence to department/divisional Standards of Practice.
- Answer construction bid period questions and respond to and resolve field issues and questions.
- Provide support to the project team for design and implementation of assigned projects; support implementation of design intent as a member of the project design team.
- Develop varied Interior Design project work at all stages of assigned projects from concept, feasibility or schematic design through the preparation of construction documentation in accordance with established departmental and divisional quality standards.
- Ensure that the interior design intent is achieved by successfully integrating design with allied disciplines, such as architecture, lighting, graphics, structural engineering, and MEP.
- Interface with Disney Cruise Line Operations, Merchandise and F&B teams for inclusion of their requirements into the design.
- Responsible for the design and production of cruise line state rooms, public spaces, shops, restaurants or themed areas under the direction of a Senior or Principal ID.
- Provide support to various projects by assisting in project design development and technical documentation
- Provide design documentation in the form of graphic illustration, imagery boards, color renderings, and research and documentation on assigned projects.
- Perform various basic technical tasks and documentation, including color & material design and documentation, basic CAD support, and FF&E design and specifications.
- You can expect occasional international travel when cruise ships are dockside for oversight of FFE installation and vendor supervision.
You Will Have:
Here’s what you need to be successful at this job:
- 4 years of proven success as an Interior Designer on major cruise line projects required and a total minimum of seven years of experience in interior design.
- A minimum of two years managing a team of interior designers in the production of contract documents for construction.
- Construction phase experience including the submittal/shop drawing review process and on-site field inspections preferred.
It would be great if you also have:
- Previous interior design experience with cruise ships, state rooms, dining, public spaces.
- Ability to collaborate effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Conceptual design skills and be able to direct their team to document their creative vision.
- CAD skills and be able to direct their team in the electronic documentation of the project.
- Working knowledge of construction documentation, and be able to organize construction packages, and direct team in detailing coordination with other disciplines.
- Color sense and working knowledge of appropriate materials for use in Disney theme parks and resorts. Should have working knowledge of the specifications of FF&E.
- Working knowledge of Excel, Word and CADD, plus digital design tools such as Adobe Suite, Sketchup and BIM if appropriate to their professional strength
- A degree from an accredited interior design program. (4 year program preferred)
- Employee at this level is encouraged to have passed the NCIDQ exam
This position is located in Lake Buena Vista, FL and will be in-person Monday - Thursday, with Friday as an optional remote work day.
Benefits and Perks: Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits, educational opportunities, and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits. #DPEPFLA #WeChangeLives
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.