Principal Technical ArchitectApply Now Apply Later Job ID 620138BR Location Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States Business Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products Date posted Jan. 09, 2019
Job Summary:“It takes people to make the dream a reality.” Walt Disney was onto something when he said that, and it continues to ring true today. Are you a data enthusiast? Are you a big data specialist? Do you have Data Lake / Hadoop experience in cloud? Do you have the innovative and complex problem-solving mindset? Disney Parks Experience and Consumer Products (DPECP) Technology is an electrifying place to utilize your skills, experience, and leadership abilities in building the next generation data platform in the cloud and create “Surprise and Delight” experiences for our guests.
As the Principal Big Data Architect in the Information Advantage (IA) organization you will lead the big data and technical architecture to deliver solutions in cloud covering multiple Lines of Business within DPECP to drive business strategy, develop innovative products and take our operational efficiency to its unrealized potential by using data and cutting-edge tools. This role will oversee the technical success of the projects and develop a repeatable technology framework across various initiatives.
- Develop cloud native big data architecture based on established design patterns and practices
- Leads the creation and implementation of the technical architecture based on solution engineering, business requirements and IA strategy
- Engage with AI / ML Architecture and Engineering teams to develop technical design and implementation approaches.
- Develops guidelines and guardrails for development teams
- Co-ordinate and enable integration between platform and big data engineering.
- Defines technical architecture and designs for data ingestion, data storage data governance and data consumption.
- Develops design patterns and frameworks for building syndicated and curated data layers enabling data consumption.
- Collaborate with various teams to achieve objectives in improving system performance
- Integrate with existing software practices that produce maintainable code, including automated testing, continuous integration, code style conformity, and code reviews
- Resolving issues with delivery roadblocks efficiently to minimize impact to project budget and timelines
- Provide technical direction and guidance to delivery leaders and product management teams.
- Oversees adherence to target architecture and design standards
- Creates high-level solution designs for projects of the highest complexity
- Ensures viability of proposed solutions
- Ensures solutions delivered align to solution architecture
- Acts as a point of escalation. Resolves complex design issues
- Guides and mentors Solution and Data Architecture peers
- Monitors trends in the industry; recommends changes to processes or technology
- Defines and implements best practices, policies, and procedures
- Manage and Coordinate between business and technology stakeholders expectations to develop a technical architecture approach.
- Enabling highly visible interactions with executives on the technology and business sides of the organization to facilitate alignment
Basic Qualifications:Basic knowledge/experience in relevant technologies, such as:
- Deep expertise in big data and cloud architecture, application and solution design, software development lifecycle, and integration
- Deep expertise in data pipeline and orchestration frameworks including building data versioning, schema evolution, data classifications and other governance frameworks.
- Good understanding Big Data Hadoop landscape from a cloud platform engineering perspective.
- Experience writing technical specifications and documentation
- Experience interpreting a variety of technical instructions and dealing with abstract and concrete variables
- Experience determining what automation can reasonably be accomplished
- Deep knowledge of industry best practices, architecture frameworks and tools
- Experience analyzing and designing new architecture frameworks or enhancing existing architectures
- Troubleshooting skills, the ability to determine impact, the ability to resolve complex issues and to exercise sound judgment and initiative in stressful situations
- Proven experience in big data and software integration patterns – web services, eventing, streaming, bulk transfer.
- Understanding of Microservice Architectures and design patterns
- Proven experience influencing business and technology leadership through effective negotiation
- Hands on development experience in big data and open source technologies
- Fluency in some popular programming languages (Python, Spark, Java, R) and SQL (PostgreSQL, AnsiSQL, NoSQL)
- Experience working with Hortonworks, EMR Hadoop distribution
- Deep understanding various Hadoop 2.0+ services including Kafka, NiFi, YARN, Ranger, Atlas, Hive, Druid, LLAP, HBase.
- Experience working in AWS cloud platform and Google, Azure is a plus
- Understanding of cloud platform engineering and container management (EC2, ECS, EKS, Docker, Fargate, cost management, capacity management)
- Experience in working with open source code and frameworks (hands-on experience in Python, Spark, Java/J2EE, Spring, XML, JSON, Kafka, MySQL/MariaDB, DynamoDB)
- Experience in AI / ML tool stack is a big plus
- Required Knowledge of industry standard project execution methodologies like Agile/SCRUM or Agile/Kanban, along with a working understanding of epic, story, and task level sizing and planning activities
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field
- 12 or more years of relevant IT experience. 4 or more years of big data and cloud experience
About Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products:
The Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Attractions Technology, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Parks, Experiences and Consumer Products.
Walt Disney Attractions Technology, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.