Science Operations Manager, The SeasApply NowApply Later Job ID 10006771 Location Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States Business Walt Disney World Resort Date posted Oct. 06, 2022 Flex Type On-Site
- This role is considered on-site, which means the employee will work from a Company designated location on an ongoing basis.
Join us as part of a dynamic team and science-based culture where our mission is to Lead Walt Disney Parks and Resorts to Care for animals and the environment, Connect people to nature and Conserve our natural resources. In this role, you will provide oversight and leadership for the Seas Science programs and scientific input into the Animal Care Operation and Seas Strategic plan.
The Seas-based Science team consists of The Science Operations Director, a Science Operations Manager, a Research Manager, a part-time Cognitive Scientist, one hourly technician and two contract positions, and works in concert with the Behavioral Husbandry Zoological Managers on the science team. In addition, the Seas Science Team is part of a larger Science Team for all of Disney’s Animals Science and Environment, with experts in behavior, endocrinology, cognition, behavioral husbandry, population biology, environmental monitoring and welfare. The science team works in close collaboration with the Disney Conservation team in support of conservation and science goals.
This position sits on the Seas Animal Care Leadership Team and is expected to have oversight for all internal and external research projects and collaborations as well as advise on scientific and welfare issues across teams and the aquarium field related to care and sustainability of aquatic animals.
You will report to the Science Operations Director.
- Supervise the Seas Science Team in support of science and animal care strategic plans
- Represent the Seas Science Team on the Animal Care Leadership Team and partner with other teams in the development and pursuit of strategic goals for the Seas, Animals Science Environment and the Walt Disney Company.
- Share scientific findings with ASE and park leadership and external partners and provide input in decision-making
- Foster scientific partnerships with internal and external collaborators
- Utilize scientific approaches to gather objective information as requested by partner teams to address issues relevant to health, welfare, and sustainability
- Create a shared vision to inspire team members, co-workers and collaborators, and guests about the value of science in aquarium science and aquatic conservation
- Under the leadership of the Science Operations Director, develops and drives the scientific direction of the aquatic science program at the Seas.
- Help deliver quality guest experiences that showcase the role of science in animal care
- Manage the operating and labor budgets of the Seas Science Team
- Oversee various research programs through completion
- Contribute to aquatic conservation science initiatives
- Serve on Disney’s Animal Care and Welfare and Scientific Review Committees
- Minimum 5 years of experience leading a team
- Minimum of 5 years conducting research
- Proven leadership skills with experience in mentoring, coaching and recognizing team members
- Excellent experimental design skills and experience conducting research in wildlife
- Understanding of the role of research in modern zoo and aquarium operations
- Ability to work well in a team atmosphere
- Knowledge of AZA standards pertaining to research, animal welfare and behavioral husbandry programs
- Proven history of scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Excellent communication and project management skills (oral, written) across diverse teams
- Passion for storytelling and connecting guests to nature and science
- Passion to move the aquarium industry forward by utilizing both science-based management and groundbreaking behavioral husbandry approaches, and driving research related to welfare, health, and population sustainability
- Broad knowledge of the various scientific fields contributing to aquarium management
- Knowledge of AZA structure and involvement in AZA committees/programs
- Experience leading other leaders
- Experience managing operating and labor budgets
- Experience studying aquatic wildlife in an aquarium setting
- Teaching/instruction experience
- Experience working with behavioral husbandry and welfare programs
- Master’s Degree
- Doctoral or Veterinary Degree
Benefits and Perks: Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits, educational opportunities and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits.
About Walt Disney World Resort:
Since opening in 1971, Walt Disney World Resort has played an important role in many childhood and family memories. Today, hundreds of millions of guests from around the globe visit this magical place to enjoy a Disney vacation. Through a combination of creativity, innovation and technology, the resort immerses guests in classic Disney tales and new kinds of family entertainment. Drawing from a rich heritage of storytelling, Walt Disney World Resort cast members bring Disney magic to life through unmatched attention to detail and superior guest service.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business we call Walt Disney World Resort.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.