Science Operations ManagerApply Now Apply Later Job ID 738998BR Location Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States Business Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted Jan. 28, 2020
- Supervise the Seas Science team and Behavioral Husbandry Manager
- Guide the Seas Science Team in support of the Animal Care strategic plan
- Represent the Seas Science Team on the Animal Care Leadership Team
- Share scientific findings with ASE and park leadership and external partners and provide input in their decision-making
- Foster scientific partnerships with internal and external collaborators
- Utilize scientific approaches to gather objective information as requested by partner teams to address issues relevant to health, welfare, and sustainability
- Help deliver quality guest experiences that showcase the role of science in animal care
- Manage the operating and labor budgets of the Seas Science Team
- Oversee the dolphin research program
- Contribute to aquatic conservation science initiatives
- Serve on Disney’s Animal Care and Welfare Committee and Scientific Review Committee
- Minimum 5 years of leadership experience managing a team
- Proven leadership skills with experience in mentoring, coaching and recognizing team members
- Excellent experimental design skills and experience conducting research in a zoo/aquarium setting
- Understanding of the role of research in modern zoo and aquarium operations
- Ability to work well in a team atmosphere
- Knowledge of AZA standards pertaining to research, animal welfare and behavioral husbandry programs
- Proven history of scientific publication in peer-reviewed journals
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written)
- Passion for storytelling and connecting guests to nature and science
- Passion to move the aquarium industry forward by utilizing both science-based management and groundbreaking behavioral husbandry approaches, and driving research related to welfare, health, and population sustainability.
- Broad knowledge of the various scientific fields contributing to aquarium management
- Minimum 5 years working in an AZA accredited aquarium
- Knowledge of AZA structure and involvement in AZA committees/programs
- Experience managing operating and labor budgets
- Teaching/instruction experience
- Experience working with behavioral husbandry and welfare programs
- 4-year degree in aquatic animal science, welfare, behavior, physiology or related field.
- Doctoral or Veterinary Degree, or equivalent experience
About Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Parks, Experiences and Products.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.