Already applied?View Dashboard
Senior Interior Designer-PHApply Now Apply Later Job ID 539493BR Location Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States; Orlando, Florida, United States Business Disney Parks & Resorts Brand Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Jun. 13, 2018
Job Summary:"We create happiness.” That’s our motto at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. And it permeates everything we do. At Disney, you’ll help inspire that magic by enabling our teams to push the limits of entertainment and create the never-before-seen!
Walt Disney Imagineering is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research and development arm of The Walt Disney Company. Its talented corps of Imagineers is responsible for the creation - from concept initiation through installation - of all Disney Resorts, theme parks and attractions, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, and new media projects.
Ideal candidate should have a solid understanding of the design process, with previous experience in both conceptual design and design development. Ability to oversee and direct designers and production staff is also required. Additionally, individual must be able to partner effectively with other disciplines in a collaborative, multi-disciplinary project team environment.
- Oversee a team of Interior Designers, and/or including Consultants on projects, including the oversight of design and detailing, soft cost budget, hard cost budget and schedule.
- Under the direction of the Design Manager, operate as Lead Interior Designer who will manage collaboration efforts with various partners, including; ED&E, Creative, Show Design & Production, Ride Engineering as well as Operating partners.
- Based on scope and size of project, may provide support to Project Lead/Interior Designer for design and implementation aspects of assigned projects.
- Support implementation of project goals/objectives through problem-solving and development of design solutions. Ensures adherence to department/divisional Standards of Practice.
- Answer construction bid period questions and respond to and resolve field issues and inquiries.
- Ability to work on all phases of a project’s development, including large and complex projects.
- Able to make key design decisions on their own, though, will need to secure buy in from Team Creative Director on final decisions and critical matters.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal departmental supervision and thrive in a highly-collaborative, multi-disciplinary project team environment.
- Support implementation of project goals/objectives through problem-solving and development of design solutions.
- Interact and communicate with project teams as the discipline lead or key department representative.
- Coordinate with other design disciplines though frequent discussions and work sessions.
- Solicit support from the design manager and department head as needed to resolve issues.
- Ensure compliance with all Building Codes ADA codes
- Ensure compliance with WDW/WDI Standards and Business Practices
- Minimum seven (7) years of experience in the practice of interior design.
- Minimum two (2) years of leadership experience, managing a team of interior designers in the production of contract documents for construction.
- Proven experience taking a project from design through construction in the field.
- Able to identify opportunities and implement effective steps and processes to bring team to resolution.
- Must be self-motivated, analytical and detail-oriented.
- Proven capabilities in multi-tasking, problem solving and prioritizing assignments to meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to effectively interface as a primary contact with team members, consultants and vendors.
- Utilize conceptual design skills to direct & guide team members to document their creative vision.
- Coach and direct team on how to compile and assemble electronic documentation of their projects.
- Working knowledge of construction documentation, with the ability to organize construction packages, and direct team in detailing coordination with other disciplines.
- Demonstrated thoughtful design, artistic skills and professional judgment when problem solving.
- Color sense and working knowledge of appropriate materials for use in Disney Theme Parks and Resorts.
- Extensive proficiency and understanding of FF&E specifications.
- Experience working with Excel, Word and CADD, plus digital design tools such as Adobe Suite, Sketch-up and BIM are highly preferred
- Exceptional design aptitude & creativity, including the ability to graphically represent the design concept to teams, partners and/or clients.
- Graduate of accredited design program. BA, BS, or BFA – 4 years program preferred.
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.