Special Effects Designer PrincipalApply NowApply Later Job ID 10061451 Location Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Sep. 15, 2023
Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is the master planning, creative development, design, engineering, production, project management, and research and development arm of Disney Parks, Experiences and Products business segment. Representing more than 150 disciplines, its talented corps of Imagineers are responsible for the creation of Disney resorts, theme parks and attractions, hotels, water parks, real estate developments, regional entertainment venues, cruise ships, and new media technology projects worldwide which includes other Disney Intellectual Property such as Marvel, Pixar, and Lucasfilm.
We are seeking a highly skilled and creative designer to join our Special Effects team. As the Special Effects Designer Principal, you will be responsible for applying the newest technologies and innovations in special effects to create immersive environments for Theme Park attractions, Cruise lines, Resorts and Shows.
The Special Effects Designer, Principal will report to the Special Effects Designer, Manager.
- Collaborate with Creative Directors, Production Designers and Producers to develop special effects concepts that align with the project's vision and requirements.
- Manage multi-million-dollar Special Effects projects.
- Partners with Project Managers to maintain schedules and resources.
- Work with Facilities and Architectural teams to provide facility / schematic inputs on Special Effects requirements.
- Communicates effectively with project teams to resolve needs, status, and improvements.
- Advises and leads direct and indirect staff, as well as working with vendors and consultants.
- Maintain a strong emphasis on safety throughout the design and implementation of practical effects and ensure all Disney standards and requirements are met.
- Support/ mentor team members
- May be asked to travel worldwide, as required.
- 10) years of proven experience focused on Special Effects Design and Integration.
- Experience leading Special Effects teams on “E” ticket attractions and cruise ships from Blue Sky through Project delivery. Including estimating, budgeting, scheduling, resource planning, mockups, design, installation, and project turnover.
- Strong artistic and creative skills, with the ability to translate concepts into practical effects.
- Industry-leading skills in special effects techniques, materials, and equipment.
- Ability to lead and encourage a team effectively.
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Attention to detail and a dedication to safety.
- Successful Leader/Contributor on Special Effects projects with proven track record of safety, reliability, and sustainability.
- Large, diversified knowledge base in Special Effects including Projection, Lighting, Animation, Show Control and Practical Special Effects.
- Knowledge of sophisticated electrical systems that operate SPFX elements.
- Solidworks and AutoCAD design experience.
- Experience in Industrial design and manufacturing with special effects and projection system design experience.
- Theatrical experience
- Preferred education, but not required, B.A., B.S. in Engineering or Design equivalent desired
This position is located in Lake Buena Vista, FL.
Benefits and Perks:
Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits, educational opportunities, and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits.
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.