Sr Systems Engineer
Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 882781BR Location Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Nov. 16, 2021
Job Summary:This position is for an experienced systems engineer eager to play an integral role on the Infrastructure Automation team for the Walt Disney Company. Primary responsibilities include designing, building, and supporting a large scale enterprise production environment that hosts a variety of on premise and cloud-hosted infrastructure properties for The Walt Disney Company.
The Senior Systems Engineer is expected to have expert level systems administration skills on both the Linux and Windows server platforms and must have extensive experience with OS image and container management. This position will focus on service delivery, systems stability, security, performance and capacity management, process development and management as well as documentation. The role requires participating in an on-call support rotation.
This position works closely with various business Engineering and Production teams to gather requirements, troubleshoot issues, and provide stellar customer support. The role requires someone who is creative, proactive, constructive, and highly motivated. The Senior SE must be prepared to work in an extremely collaborative and high-energy environment.
- Utilize scripting (Perl, PHP, Bash, Shell, etc.) to optimize and automate system functions and tasks
- Architect, build and operate high-quality production systems and processes
- Manages the OS image lifecycle processes and procedures to automate server provisioning of on premise and hybrid hosting services
- Design systems to enable rapid development, high availability and clear observability
- Maintain and improve the reliability and operability of services
- Write tools and leverage open source to automate tasks with an emphasis on safety and repeatability
- Take ownership and triage cases via helpdesk ticketing system or by monitoring Slack channels; provide regular updates to users and manage requests to meet business SLA’s
- All other duties as required to help achieve business goals, including but not limited to, availability for afterhours escalated support
- Ensure security best practice is at the forefront and embedded in our DNA of all your design
- Typically has 5 more years experience with relevant internet technologies and with implementing, administering, and supporting production websites and backend support systems.
- Five or more years of previous and relevant experience
- Server and client backup technologies and image management
- Strong knowledge in system management languages (e.g. Chef, Terraform, Ansible)
- Strong knowledge in operating systems and systems management (e.g. RHEL, CentOS, Ubuntu, Windows)
- Have a thorough knowledge of the syntax, capabilities, and limitations of the Linux and Windows operating systems including knowledge of the interaction between production programs and the operating system
- Multiple scripting languages in your toolbox (e.g. Python, Powershell, GO, Ruby, or Swift)
- Client operation systems and configuration management tools
- Virtual hosting technologies (e.g. VMWare, KVM)
- Data center, network, and application architectures
- Systems Security (e.g. key management, encryption, vulnerability management)
- Containerization and Container PaaS offerings (e.g. Docker, Rancher, Kubernetes, OpenShift)
- Passion to exploit technology and constantly learn
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills: Ability to communicate effectively with end-users, business owners, developers, managers, and systems engineers
- Ability to discuss highly technical concepts to a variety of audiences, including executive level and technical decision-makers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication to all levels in the organization.
- Serves as primary point of contact with Manager.
- Ability to lead functional teams in systems integration and design including writing operational specs, architectural diagrams, test plans and requirements management.
- Communication of ideas and solutions in a clear and organized manner.
- Clear and effective presentations to groups of people.
- Effective project management and planning on large-scale projects (familiarity with agile/scrum and water-fall project management a plus).
- Ability to design and deliver training to other staff.
- Construction of concise and complete technical documentation.
- Mentoring of Jr. Staff on technical material.
- Viewed as a reliable technical resource for others.
- Detailed understanding of the goals and requirements of the business supported.
- Bachelor of Science degree in computer science or related field or equivalent experience in technical operations and software engineering
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Worldwide Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
Disney Worldwide Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.