Already applied?View Dashboard
Imagine working side-by-side with industry leaders in your field of study. Imagine building upon the skills you've learned in the classroom within a family of legendary brands passionate about creating world-class experiences on a global scale. Now, imagine yourself in a paid Disney Internship.
WDI Show Mechanical Engineering Intern, Spring 2024Apply NowApply Later Job ID 10062598 Location Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Sep. 07, 2023
Be a part of an innovative team and culture…
Walt Disney Imagineering is the creative force that imagines, designs and brings to life all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Working across a spectrum of disciplines that range from creative and conceptual to scientific and technical, Imagineers blend an innovative mixture of storytelling, art, science and technology to create immersive experiences, memorable destinations, and innovative entertainment for families around the globe.
A day in the life…
As a Show Mechanical Engineering intern, you have the opportunity to work with the team that helps to dream and create many of the magical moments that our guests enjoy. The Show Systems team is responsible for delivering world class Audio- Animatronic figures, show action equipment and special effects through their full lifecycle. We partner with various disciplines to help deliver quality products and our processes and tools help to take us from concept design to production and installation.
An intern with our department focuses on mechanical engineering tasks related to the creation of animatronic figures and show action equipment, where fantastic show, lifelike performance, durability, reliability and safety are a must. We are responsible for bringing the creative intent (look, feel & sound) of our stories into physical reality. The intern will support various phases of the engineering process from concept development through final design, production, test, installation and commissioning for a variety of theme park attractions. Our diverse needs call for many areas of specialization which allow for our engineers to learn and grow within the mechanical engineering realm. These areas include design engineering, machine design, mechanical analysis, advanced 3d modeling, 3d printing, production processes, material sciences and more. Candidates are not expected to have experience in each space but should be passionate about growing their skillsets in these areas as they relate to themed entertainment.
We are looking for candidates who are excited to solve hard problems and grow in the mechanical sciences in service to bringing the Walt Disney Company’s stories to life.
You will have the opportunity to:
- Design mechanical components under the direction of others
- Create models and drawings in Solidworks
- Perform calculations for machine designs such as development of loads, stress analysis, and motor and component sizing
- Provide production support for animated figures and show action equipment
- Support test and commissioning of animated figures and show action equipment
- Generate drawings and engineering reports to document engineering designs
What we are looking for…
- Ability to perform basic engineering analysis and calculations
- Possess a basic knowledge of mechanical components and manufacturing processes
- Experience with SolidWorks or equivalent 3d modeling tools
- Availability to work various shifts commensurate with global project requirements (typically 8am – 5 pm)
- Demonstrated/proven strong leadership, technical and interpersonal skills
- Self-starter with demonstrated initiative - able to handle multiple tasks and priorities
- Familiar with Finite Element Analysis (FEA) is desired [ANSYS is preferred]
- Familiar with mechanical system modeling tools [MATLAB or Simulink is preferred]
- Currently enrolled as a Junior or higher, or graduated within the past 6 months, from an ABET accredited engineering program in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or Engineering Mechanics.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Location-- This internship is located in Orlando, FL
- Program length-- The approximate dates of this internship are January 2024 through May/June 2024
- Housing-- We provide limited housing opportunities for Florida Based Professional Interns through American Campus Communities, for more information click here
- Transportation-- Must have reliable transportation to/from work
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.