Already applied?View Dashboard
Imagine working side-by-side with industry leaders in your field of study. Imagine building upon the skills you've learned in the classroom within a family of legendary brands passionate about creating world-class experiences on a global scale. Now, imagine yourself in a paid Disney Professional Internship.
WDI Show Software Engineering Intern, Orlando - Summer 2019Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 642137BR Location Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States Business Walt Disney Imagineering Date posted Mar. 12, 2019
Job Summary:A Show Software Engineering Intern who will work within the department that performs Software Engineering activities related to attractions, show and park/resort wide electronic systems.
- Develop software for guest interactive systems, as an independent contributor on “small” efforts, or as a collaborative contributor on large scale software efforts
- This includes developing and reviewing system requirements; assisting in developing software specifications, and system architectures; designing software at a module level, producing data flow diagrams, and/or other design documentation; and developing code and software test plans
- Participating in software and system testing efforts, producing software documentation at a level that will allow other software engineers to maintain the system, producing user documentation to describe system operation, and releasing software
- Keep abreast of new technologies/methodologies that could reduce the cost of developing or maintaining systems
- Provide input to software engineering manpower and schedule planning for personal activities in support of estimating activities
- Develop and review specifications, scopes of work, Test and Adjust plans and procedures
- Verify software performance against requirements
- Review final Test and Adjust and acceptance testing documentation against deliverables
- Support Show System operator and maintenance training
- Present project updates to Functional and Project Management
- Initiate and maintain extensive contact with key engineers and officials of other organizations and companies
- Participate in Proof of Concept (PoC) tests to design, review, and document the feasibility of turning new ideas into robust, reliable, and engaging interactive experiences for Guests
- Technologies experience (PLCs, Powershell, Chef, Software Deployment Knowledge, Moderate Linux and/or Windows OS Knowledge)
- Problem analysis and resolution skills
- Understanding of software engineering principles
- Understanding of control systems and software systems
- A strong desire to solve problems that are not widely known or documented
- One year relevant work or internship experience
- Experience with human interface devices (touchscreens, Kinect, real world sensing)
- Experience with Single Board Computers (Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, BeagleBone)
- Broadcast engineering or film industry tools development
- Knowledge of WDI Standards and/or Industry Standards
- Understanding of circuits, relays, and serial communication
Required EducationCurrently enrolled as a Junior or higher, or graduated within the past 6 months, from an accredited college/university, earning a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related field.
Additional Information:Internship Eligibility:
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within the past 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney Professional Internship
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability
- Must provide own transportation to/from work
- Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
- ***MUST POSSESS VALID DRIVER’S LICENSE***
The approximate dates of this internship are May/June 2019 - August/September 2019. Interns must be fully available for the duration of the internship.
About Walt Disney Imagineering:
Founded in 1952 as WED Enterprises to design and build the world’s first theme park — Disneyland — Walt Disney Imagineering (WDI) is where imagination and creativity combine with cutting-edge technology to create unforgettable experiences. WDI is the creative force that imagines, designs and builds all Disney theme parks, resorts, attractions and cruise ships worldwide. Imagineering’s unique strength comes from its diverse global team of creative and technical professionals, who build on Disney’s legacy of storytelling to pioneer new forms of entertainment. The Imagineers who practice this unique blend of art and science work in more than 100 disciplines to shepherd an idea all the way from “blue sky” concept phase to opening day.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Imagineering.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.