Zoological Manager-Large MammalApply Now Apply Later Job ID 752362BR Location Lake Buena Vista, Florida, United States Business Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted Mar. 20, 2020
- Lead area team to deliver uncompromising excellence in animal care and welfare.
- Directly supervise Animal Keepers in all aspects of their work.
- Promote and enforce safety protocols, company guidelines, policies and standards.
- Select, train, evaluate and develop area Animal Keeper staff.
- Act as primary contact for Veterinary, Nutrition, Horticulture, Operations, Education, and Maintenance issues.
- Ensure accurate and timely animal data documentation in the Daily Reporting System.
- Assume leadership role during emergency situations.
- Manage the delivery of inspiring guest experiences.
- Participate in collection planning for species in the area.
- Manage expenses of the area budget.
- Lead area development and training of animal husbandry programs and welfare monitoring.
- In partnership with the Behavioral Husbandry team, manage the area animal training and enrichment programs.
- Partner and manage the development of area research and education programs. Continue to seek and acquire education and professional training in the zoological and management fields.
- Perform the Animal Care Duty Manager role, as needed.
- May become qualified as a member of the Animal Escape, Recovery and Firearms team.
- Interact with other zoological facilities and conservation organizations on issues regarding the progressive animal care, husbandry, research and conservation.
- Participate in scientific meetings, conferences and workshops, when appropriate.
- Author papers and present lectures on husbandry and conservation issues, when appropriate.
- Nine years combined animal management experience and post-high school education (30 semester credits per year), with at least five years of paid manager experience at an AZA accredited or equivalent facility.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Demonstrated ability to positively interact within a team environment.
- Demonstrated Animal management expertise.
- Demonstrated strong organizational and communication skills.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft software (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, SharePoint).
- Experience leading teams of animal professionals.
- Experience with rhinos, hoofed stock, carnivores, and large birds
- Experience with mixed-species exhibit animal management
- Excellent communication and problem solving process
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers
- Proven strong interpersonal and partnering skills
- Ability to deliver and receive constructive feedback to improve cast performance.
- 4 year college degree in biology or related field strongly preferred
About Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Parks, Experiences and Products.
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.