Government Relations DirectorApply NowApply Later Job ID 765330BR Location Lantau Island, Islands District, Hong Kong Business Hong Kong Disneyland Resort Date posted Sep. 03, 2020
Hong Kong Disneyland Resort (“HKDL”) is under the ownership of a joint venture established by the Hong Kong Government and The Walt Disney Company. This role is responsible for crafting and managing the execution of government, political and industry relations strategies to ensure that HKDL is positioned as a well-run company among local and regional stakeholders, build HKDL’s leadership position in Hong Kong’s tourism industry and garner support for its continuous development. By cultivating relationships with government, key political and industry stakeholders, this role focuses on creating positive advocates and offering timely, relevant insights and inputs in HKDL’s business and operations decision process. This is a key leadership role supporting the Managing Director and Vice President of Communications and Public Affairs in managing working relationships with the government shareholders and government partners as policy makers / regulators in the best interest of the resort and to successfully influence legislative and regulatory outcomes. The person needs to operate in an unclear or ambiguous environment and provide very clear and focused strategies as government regulations are changing constantly.
The role is also a critical team member to help build and protect HKDL’s image and reputation in an increasingly challenging political and external landscape. A keen understanding of various stakeholder and their motivations is important in order to build a comprehensive Government relations strategy. The successful candidate needs to partner well with all Lines of Business and contribute in the formulation of strategies to achieve HKDL’s strategic objectives, including operation and expansion-related licensing and permit matters. Leveraging relationship and network established with government partners as well as knowledge of government operations, the person works to create a favorable and business friendly climate for the company.
- Identify business needs, formulate and execute HKDL’s core strategies and outreach and lobby key government officials and public bodies with a view to enhancing the corporate reputation and securing necessary support for key milestones and development projects
- Anticipate and identify potential/emerging sensitive issues in the public domain that relate to the company. Ensure mitigating solutions will be developed for different stakeholder groups to influence them to understand and support HKDL’s position
- Synergize efforts with Communications and Public Affairs teams and other Lines of Business to identify and build coalition among government and political stakeholders that would promote HKDL’s reputation and business activities. Based on HKDL’s business needs, this role may also require to cover the development of government relationship beyond Hong Kong
- Devise and execute relationship management strategies through HKDL’s connection with various business and industry associations
- 12+ years’ experience in Government Relations/Public Administration/Public Affairs/Communications or related fields
- Tangible experience working in political office or a government agency is a bonus
- Proven strong and creative problem-solving skills
- Excellent presentation, written and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and under pressure
- Fluent in oral and written English and Chinese (Cantonese and Mandarin)
- Solid understanding of operations and policy making process of the government in Hong Kong as well as political acumen; understanding the government relationship beyond Hong Kong would be a plus
- Ability to appreciate and navigate through the complexity of business operations and closely collaborate with internal partners
- Strong and creative problem solving skills, as well as proactive team collaboration to reach timely and practicable solutions with internal or external partners in an increasingly challenging political and business environment
- Able to comprehend and process complex information for strategies formulation, as well as to balance multiple needs and integrate inputs from various internal partners and external stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to simply complex ideas for leadership
- Possess strong leadership and experience in championing changes, motivating and influencing people
Additional Information:SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
After clicking “Apply for this job” below, the employment application will open in a new window. Please complete ALL pages of the application in ENGLISH by clicking “Next” on each page, then “Submit” on the final page.
About Hong Kong Disneyland Resort:
Since Hong Kong Disneyland Resort opened in 2005, it has entertained millions of guests from Hong Kong, mainland China, Southeast Asia and farther abroad. As the first Disney resort in China, it features award-winning, first-of-its-kind entertainment offerings and guest services specially-designed for an international guest base, all brought to life by the resort’s multilingual cast members.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Hongkong International Theme Parks Limited, which is part of a business segment we call Hong Kong Disneyland Resort.