Already applied?View Dashboard
ABC News Editor for DigitalApply Now Apply Later Job ID 634993BR Location London, England, United Kingdom; Hammersmith, England, United Kingdom Business Walt Disney Television Date posted May. 07, 2019
Job Summary:ABC News is seeking a full-time News Editor to join our growing Digital team!
The person in this role based on London will be the lead news editor for ABC News Digital during the early morning hours through early afternoon, London time. In addition to line editing responsibilities, this news editor will also be responsible for responding to stories that develop during the shift and writing breaking lines.
Although a key part of the role is managing text stories, the person in this role is also responsible for coordinating other key editorial elements and liaising with the wider newsgathering operation as well as broadcast units and audience development teams. She or he will handle alerting key editorial team members to breaking news.
The ideal candidate is someone who has experience handling or leading breaking news coverage, is a self-starter and does well under pressure. The candidate should also have experience dealing with teams for legal review and for news standards and practices.
- Work with the newsgathering desk to determine what is reportable.
- Collaborate with reporters, producers, editors, bookers and correspondents.
- When necessary, file breaking news stories.
- Coordinate news coverage across different teams.
- Make editorial judgments on a minute-to-minute basis.
- BA or BS from a 4-year accredited college or university or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience editing for a digital news outlet.
- Ability to write on deadline with speed and accuracy.
- Proven experience handling breaking news.
- Willingness and desire to collaborate across different teams.
- Ability to balance priorities, multiple projects and tasks.
- Brings energy and positivity to the group dynamic.
- Master’s degree in journalism from an accredited college or university or equivalent experience.
- Has experience running point on major breaking news.
- Experience collaborating with different teams.
- Excellent communication skills.
The role is based in London, and the hours are generally from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. London time (1 a.m. to 10 a.m. New York time), Tuesday through Saturday. However, she/he may occasionally be required to work different hours to fill staffing gaps.
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDTV) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDTV offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDTV includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ABC, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
ABC, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.