Attorney, Media DistributionApply NowApply Later Job ID 822961BR Location London, England, United Kingdom Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Jul. 20, 2021
This key role sits within the heart of the Media Distribution Legal team which supports Disney’s media distribution activity across Europe, Middle East, Africa and Russia.
The overall purpose of role is to Draft, negotiate and advise on licensing deals for television, channels and transactional services, advise on legal and/or broader commercial issues arising from licensing deals and be the point person for ad hoc projects and experienced resource for developing junior team members.
Responsibilities:The Opportunity & Responsibilities:
- Draft and conclude license agreements, channel distribution agreements, format agreements, amendments and other legal documentation required by the business in EMEA
- Liaise with the sales teams in London and the overseas offices in relation to specific deals and to provide support and guidance
- Be the first point of contact for queries from finance, marketing and technical representatives for specific agreements/clients
- Strengthen internal and external relationships in ways that benefit the business
- Help to develop and maintain up-to-date templates for the full range of DMD licences
- Provide leadership and guidance on the implementation of best practice for drafting and the negotiation of key deal terms
- Assist in monitoring the output of Contract Managers and Administrators
- Provide support to the regional digital team and assist in supporting global accounts
- Work on specific projects from time to time to support DMD business initiatives
- Develop a solid understanding of the business’s and licensees’ expectations and negotiating position through effective utilisation of cross-functional expertise
- Work with sales team to structure and support negotiation of agreements
- Draft and complete license agreements within agreed timescales
Other General Activities
- Work effectively with departmental colleagues on a cross-functional and cross-territory basis
- Keep up to date with relevant legal developments and, where appropriate, take opportunities to share that knowledge with colleagues
- Foster a ‘continuous improvement’ culture, ensuring that policies and processes will protect the business
Basic Qualifications:The Experience We Require From You:
- UK or equivalent professional qualification
- Excellent academic history and ideally private practice training
- Good knowledge of contract and commercial law
- Extensive contract drafting experience
- Television and/or digital media experience (preferably in distribution and licensing). In-house or private practice.
- Understanding of negotiation and good contract drafting skills
- Ability to draft from scratch to address new and challenging issues
- Good organisational skills with the ability to prioritise tasks and manage a portfolio of contracts
- Methodical, meticulous and with great attention to detail
- Accurate completion of license agreements within agreed timelines
- Ability to communicate legal matters to non-legal audience (e.g. sales teams)
Additional Information:The Perks:
- 25 days annual leave
- Private medical insurance & dental care
- Free Park Entry: You will have the opportunity to enter any of our parks with your family and friends for free
- Disney Discounts: you are entitled to discounts on designated Disney products, resort F&B and ticketing
- Flexible working hours are available
- Excellent maternity & paternity leave
- Business Resource Groups – Women @ Disney, Diversity @ Disney, Pride @ Disney etc.
The Walt Disney Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strive to be a diverse workforce that is representative of our audiences, and where all can thrive and belong. We are committed to building a team that includes and respects a variety of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company Ltd., which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
The Walt Disney Company Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.