Core Pipeline Developer (Python/Linux) London, United Kingdom
London, - United KingdomApply Now Apply Later
Job ID oI8tafwd Location London, England, United Kingdom Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted 04/07/2019
The Core Pipeline Engineer is responsible for developing and maintaining the VFX production pipeline, and ensuring it is running smoothly and efficiently. You will be active in both development projects and artist support.
ILM has the largest post production pipeline in the Vfx industry and in order to develop and maintain this we are always searching for highly skilled, talented individuals to work in our challenging, demanding and yes; rewarding pipeline teams. Existing of huge, complex data sets on all aspects of the pipeline this role will give you the opportunity to work alongside some of the industries top talent and allow you to develop fantastic, innovative tools/plug-ins/widgits in a highly collaborative, professional and fun environment.
Example of some tasks;
- Responsible for the development of workflow and tools
- Communicates with artists and productions to determine technical requirements and disseminate information regarding project status
- Determines methods and procedures on new assignments
- Develop per-show tool customizations as determined by show supervisors
- Updates and features additions to existing tools
Required Skills / Competencies:
- A positive, “can-do” attitude with balance: must not be afraid to ask for help when getting outside experience base or comfort zone
- A clear and concise communicator: ability to keep end users informed of progress and managers informed of requests
- An effective listener: able to engage with and understand artists to discover what their requirements are
- An effective time manager: must be able to prioritize a multitude of requests and not be afraid to ask for help if the path isn’t clear
- Passionate about delivering rigorous follow-through on assigned tasks
- An agile, flexible and quick thinker: this is an energetic, dynamic environment requiring an ability to adapt to rapidly changing requirements
- A creative thinker and innovator: able to devise and employ ingenious solutions to difficult problems
Preferred Skills / Competencies:
- Experience developing on Windows
- Experience with Renderman, vray or Arnold
- Experience with Zeno, ZVis and Commodore
- In-depth knowledge of python programming and the Linux environment
- Experience working with revision control systems and defined coding standards
- Experience developing tools and/or plugins within industry software packages such as Maya, Nuke, Houdini or Katana
- Familiarity with developing and supporting distributed, scalable systems that are fault tolerant and reliable
- Familiarity with NoSQL technologies such as Redis, Cassandra, Elastic Search, or TitanDB
- Familiarity with message queuing systems such as RabbitMQ or Kafka
- Familiarity configuration management systems such as Salt, Puppet, or Ansible
- Familiarity with Cloud platforms such as Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud Platform
- Familiarity with SQL databases, such as Oracle SQL, PostgreSQL or MySQL
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computing Science or Graphics discipline, or equivalent professional experience
- Strong demonstrable experience in the visual effects or computer animation industries
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.