Counsel, Corporate OperationsApply NowApply Later Job ID 780355BR Location London, England, United Kingdom Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Apr. 07, 2021
Job & LOB Summary
We have a new opening in our EMEA Legal team, for a Counsel, Corporate Operations in our EMEA Legal team headquartered in Hammersmith, London.
The role will also coordinate and liaise with Disney in-house and external lawyers in the rest of EMEA on corporate operational matters.
The Counsel, Corporate Operations will work very closely and support the Group’s Tax and Controllership teams but will not be required to give tax advice. The role will also work very closely with Disney’s US based Office of the Corporate Secretary.
The role will focus on providing legal support and advice for:
- The general corporate maintenance of over 100+ UK incorporated legal entities
- Monitoring and complying with UK statutory corporate governance and related reporting rules applicable to large private companies
- Inter-company licensing of IP rights, and the provision of services, between group entities in the UK, the rest of EMEA and the United States
- All inter-company financing, including loans and dividends
- Group re-organisations including legal entity rationalisations and liquidations
The Opportunity & Responsibilities
- Scheduling and servicing numerous UK Boards.
- Board administration, including the preparation and timely distribution of agendas and supporting papers.
- Attending board meetings and producing accurate minutes.
- Advising the boards on key statutory entity legal developments, such as s.172 Companies Act 2006.
- Scrutinising and servicing requests to prepare and arrange the execution of various corporate documentation, such as one-off resolutions and powers of attorney.
- Liaising and coordinating with the relevant EMEA legal teams (including working with external legal advisors) in respect of statutory filings and inter-company relationships across the Group.
- Maintaining company records using corporate databases.
- Ensuring documents are executed properly in a timely manner, including via Docusign.
Supporting the EMEA Tax and Controllership Teams:
- Supporting on-going restructuring activities within the Group, including preparing various legal documentation such as business and share transfers, reviewing documentation prepared by outside counsel and liaising with local teams to ensure local legal requirements are properly managed.
- Assisting with the liquidation of redundant Group entities, including advising upon the legal steps required, drafting the necessary legal documentation and arranging execution of the same.
- Understanding, drafting and advising upon all intercompany agreements between Disney’s UK entities and other entities within the broader Group, including liaising with and agreeing terms with the relevant local teams.
- Supporting the Controllership team, where required, in respect of the filing of the annual report and accounts for all UK legal entities.
- Advising on and documenting all inter-company financial movements such as dividends and loans.
Regional oversight of corporate operations:
- Providing support to the EMEA legal teams on a range of corporate legal activities throughout EMEA, including compliance matters and various filings.
- Leading on key Regional corporate activities which require legal input, including integration and liquidations both in the UK and other EMEA territories (including working with local counsel where required).
The Experience We Require From You:
- To succeed in this role, you will need to have had solid hands-on experience in the Corporate department of a law firm, preferably followed by some in-house experience (though that is not a requirement).
- The role would suit someone with over 7 years PQE, however PQE is a guideline only and we are happy to hear from anyone who can demonstrate the necessary skills and knowledge in order to fulfil the role
- Demonstrable knowledge of UK company law applicable to private companies, the functioning of inter-company relationships in corporate groups.
- Experience in drafting corporate documents.
- Experience of group corporate reorganisations would be an advantage.
- Some team/matrix management experience and the ability to motivate others.
- Qualified as a solicitor or barrister
- Methodical and meticulous, focusses on accuracy at all times in drafting.
- Ability to communicate legal matters to a non-legal audience sufficiently and clearly.
Additional Information:The Perks:
- 25 days annual leave
- Private medical insurance & dental care
- Free Park Entry: You will have the opportunity to enter any of our parks with your family and friends for free
- Disney Discounts: you are entitled to discounts on designated Disney products, resort F&B and ticketing
- Flexible working hours are available
- Excellent maternity & paternity leave
- Business Resource Groups – Women @ Disney, Diversity @ Disney, Pride @ Disney etc.
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company Ltd., which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
The Walt Disney Company Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.