Data ScientistApply NowApply Later Job ID 10054300 Location London, United Kingdom Business The Walt Disney Company (EMEA) Date posted Oct. 09, 2023
Disney+ is The Walt Disney Company’s Direct to Consumer video entertainment service. Consisting of long form and short form video built around our six key content brands - Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and Star.
The Disney+ team is responsible for the day to day operation of Disney+ across Europe, Middle East and Africa, specifically focused on marketing, customer acquisition and retention, partnerships and synergy, content programming, research and analytics.
We have a great opportunity for a Data Scientist to join our Disney+ Analytics & Insights EMEA team. This is a new and exciting role within EMEA.
Since launch, we have been developing our understanding of subscriber behaviour through timely insight and experimentation, improving our product and communications to make signing up and using Disney+ an increasingly frictionless and enjoyable experience. As we continue to mature, we are now looking to develop data science as a fundamental capability within Analytics in EMEA, most notably including forecasting.
Sitting within the Subscriber Growth Analytics team, you will lead on this mission, working in close partnership with business leads as well as functional Analytics teams (Content, Subscriber Growth) at a regional level and Global Analytics, Global Data Science teams and Commercial teams.
Areas of Responsibility
- Design, build and own the engagement forecast model. Work end to end from data collection, algorithm development, forecasting, visualisation to communication of results and productionisation.
- Continually explore ways to improve the methodology, whilst collaborating with stakeholders to identify requirements and expected outcomes. Present results to business partners across multiple teams.
- Execute data science and advanced analytics initiatives by innovating and developing impactful business scenarios. Over time, lead the development of tooling and best practice guides to ensure application is consistent, statistically robust and producing actionable insight.
- Coach insight analysts across the team, defining success metrics and ensuring robust statistical results, helping to ensure best practice is followed.
- Evangelise the data science opportunities to stakeholders at all levels across Disney+ whilst advising on the limitations and options available in order to influence how things are done.
- Build strong relationships across the global and International Analytics and Global Data Science teams in order to promote EMEA priorities and collaborate where required.
- Develop understanding of existing Global tools available to establish how newly developed tools can work alongside these.
Experience and Professional Qualifications Required
- Degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, or a related field with 7+ years of experience in data science-related roles.
- Demonstrable understanding and practical application of statistical concepts with in-depth understanding of when to apply which concept, with particular focus on time-series forecasting, hypothesis testing and causal impact methodologies.
- Experience talking to both technical and non-technical audiences about data science concepts, best practice and limitations, with the ability to upskill others.
- Experience developing and scaling data science capability is preferred.
- Proficient in writing SQL.
- Significant experience in Python, R or another statistical programming language.
- Experience using consumer behavioural data preferred
Skills & Competencies Required
- Top class analytical mindset, with ability to QA others’ work and ensure consistent and robust work is delivered (including through others), being able to draw on the wide range of analytical tools and types of insight available.
- Flexibility in approach, taking creative approaches to getting results where necessary.
- Strong communication, influencing and relationship building skills.
- Experience in working collaboratively across international organisations.
- Skilled at explaining technical concepts to stakeholders and enthusing about their uses.
- A demonstrated history of encouraging curiosity.
- The ability to work autonomously.
- Skilled at prioritising and managing multiple project schedules and deadlines that run simultaneously.
- Positive, collaborative, with an energetic attitude, passionate about being a team player.
About The Walt Disney Company (EMEA):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company Limited, which is part of a business we call The Walt Disney Company (EMEA).
The Walt Disney Company Limited is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.