Digital Data Manager - RenderFarm London, United Kingdom
London, England, United KingdomApply NowApply Later
Job ID oMKnefwR Location London, England, United Kingdom Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Jan. 09, 2021
The Data Manager serves as the liaison for digital resources and data pipeline information between Production, CG Supervisors, Artists and Technical support staff and is responsible for tracking and managing all digital information through the CG pipeline.
What You'll Do
- Works with the CG Supervisors, Assistant Technical Directors, and Production Software team to ensure show follows proper data management procedures
- Responsible for managing a team of Technical Assistants
- Regularly communicates with resource managers at other sites to oversee pipeline changes or resource issues affecting us all.
- Monitors disk usage and render needs for the facility, with a particular focus on individual shows, and on a shot-by-shot basis within those shows.
- Provides forecasts of disk and render usage needs for the facility up to a year ahead to help guide the resource needs of the facility.
- Prioritizes, manages, and maintains archive of show data, including creation of archival backups for shows, maintenance of archive database, storage and retrieval of physical media for recent show archives. Fulfills all data restoration requests, including archival research to locate requested data.
- Manage render priorities and coordinating processor allocations with Production. Balances processor demands within show, between shows, and as a share of facility pool.
- Provides up to date information and support for all elements libraries, tracking the status and location of all elements through the pipeline, working with editorial and production to guarantee the reliability and consistency of database entries relating to elements. Moves, renames, converts elements and performs other data maintenance as required by Supervisors and production.
- Manages the methods and flow of data from clients and vendors into and out of the facility via various download and upload methods.
- Uses linux and python to try and troubleshoot pipeline issues when they arise, involving other teams if necessary.
- Undertake other production data support tasks as required.
What We're Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent degree.
- Strong experience managing a data pipeline and resources of a VFX facility.
- Must have experience managing a team in film and video postproduction and/or computer graphics.
- Highly motivated self-starter able to work effectively on their own at times and within a team.
- Strong time management skills.
- Excellent problem solving and diagnostic skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively interact with diverse personalities.
- Ability to work shift hours as required.
- Knowledge and experience of UNIX/Linux & Windows operating systems.
- Aptitude for developing in Python, so knowledge of scripting language, i.e. Python, Perl, and programming language, i.e. C/C++, Java, beneficial.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.