Lead Software EngineerApply NowApply Later Job ID 924448BR Location London, United Kingdom Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Jun. 22, 2022
Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) brings together the Company’s best-in-class product, technology, and commercialization teams together into one global organization. DMED is responsible for the P&L management and all distribution, network and engineering operations, sales, advertising, data, and certain key technology functions worldwide for the Company's content engines. DMED also manages operations of the Company's streaming services including Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+, and Disney+ HotStar, as well as US and International domestic broadcast and cable television networks.
This role is situated in the DMED Content Platforms Engineering team, at the center of our Company’s Direct-to-Consumer transformation: responsible for reimagining, building, and advancing the global Media Supply Chain platform - a complex ecosystem of technologies, world-class experiences, tools, and processes that enable Disney to distribute and monetize its unmatched collection of content.
With teams leveraging our platform around the globe, we need a talented and motivated engineering lead like you to help build and sustain this business-critical ecosystem. This is an opportunity to work on modernizing the ecosystem at the heart of the Walt Disney company’s media business.
As a Lead Software Engineer, you enjoy a challenge and bring passion, commitment, and integrity to the role; you love creating tools and services using modern engineering methodologies. You leverage your broad technical knowledge to recommend the best way to achieve a result, while remaining open minded to new ideas and strategies.
Your excellent communication skills allow you to work with a range of other team members across the globe to articulate complex ideas and influence others with well-reasoned explanations. Your experience enables you to guide junior engineers on best practices and technologies.
You will be working behind the scenes to make the Disney magic happen.
In this role, you will:
- Be part of an engineering team that embeds into larger squads that deliver key projects and initiatives within the Content Platforms group.
- Be primarily working from home with remote teams.
- Partner with US and LATAM-based engineering peers, product and project managers in agile-based work scheduling including sprint planning, sizing, and retrospectives.
- Be exposed to a range of different systems and technologies across the media supply chain.
- Be a hands-on to create and support robust, secure, scalable, and efficient API-driven services for the media supply chain.
- Build and maintain a deep understanding of our core systems and how they interact with upstream and downstream dependencies.
- Lead by example in solving complex engineering problems with the most optimal solution considering technical, operational, and business perspectives.
- Lead code reviews, assess the impact to software architecture, and provide technical guidance and recommendations to the team.
- Partner with stakeholders to refine requirements and propose solutions to problems that span multiple teams.
- Influence and contribute to technical architecture, new technical approaches, or tooling.
- Gain deep understanding of new technologies quickly, and where appropriate educate the team in best practices for their use.
- Ensure created services are sustainable and operationally fit for purpose, with appropriate documentation and test coverage.
- Work with the team to iteratively improve development practices and processes.
- Lead cross-functional troubleshooting of complex technical issues as needed
- Excellent communication and collaborative skills and the desire succeed as a team – the ability to form partnerships is key for this role.
- Excellent understanding of Java and experience with Spring frameworks.
- Good understanding of asynchronous programming models (events, callbacks etc).
- Expertise designing APIs and building RESTful services
- Good understanding of AWS cloud technologies such as AWS EC2, S3, Lambdas, DynamoDB, Elasticsearch and how best to use these technologies when creating software.
- Good understanding of infrastructure-as-code and build pipelines.
- Experience with full software development lifecycle for multi-tiered applications, and common best practices like unit testing, collaborative version control flows, and continuous integration.
- Be a self-starter with an interest in industry trends and a passion for innovation and raising the bar.
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent industry experience.
- Have opinions on modern software architecture and design principles but aren’t dogmatic with technology choices.
- Previous experience with media production, broadcast, or distribution technologies.
- Experience working with development teams across multiple regions, time zones and cultures.
- Experience with distributed messaging and queueing platforms (Kafka, SNS or SQS).
- Experience of with Relational and NoSQL datastores.
- Spanish language skills.
Additional Information:On offer is a competitive salary which is complemented by a Disney benefits and rewards package which includes pension, holiday allowance, Disney parks & resorts passes and discounts on Disney merchandise.
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company Ltd., which is part of a business we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
The Walt Disney Company Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.