Already applied?View Dashboard
Programming Director Disney+ Europe and AfricaApply Now Apply Later Job ID 701915BR Location London, England, United Kingdom; Hammersmith, England, United Kingdom Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted Sep. 09, 2019
In conjunction with the global Disney+ content team, the Programming Director Disney+ Europe and Africa will lead content strategy, adapting the global content strategy for each market in the region.
- Tailor the global content offer by market, based on parameters such as rights, windowing restrictions, availability, European quota restrictions, competitive context, regulatory restrictions, market preferences, research, viewing analysis, etc.
- Set programming priorities, planning and calendar of priorities that feed and drive subscriber acquisition, retention and marketing/creative strategy and planning.
- Drive editorial merchandising and promotion strategies.
- Create high impact, curated programming events that leverage The Walt Disney Company brands and franchises.
- Oversight of general audience content programming for original and catalogue movie, series, and short form content for Disney+
- Oversee day to day editorial operations, including creating and updating pages, content calendars, schedules, analytics.
- Leverage market and behaviour data, audience research to drive data and analytics that determine effective programming strategies
- Development of local production and acquisition strategy to ensure Disney+ is a locally relevant service.
- Management of service content catalogue to ensure Disney+ meets all regulations including European quotas.
- Manage the European programming and production budget.
- Clear and effective briefing of marketing/creative teams on content plan and priorities.
- Work in close collaboration with the Disney+ global content teams based in the US, ensuring an aligned approach
- Work closely and collaboratively with the European genre heads for Disney Channels and National Geographic Channels, the European head of Original Production and the European head of Acquisitions. All productions will be briefed to and managed by Head of Original Production and acquisitions negotiated by Head of Acquisitions.
- Partner with the other Disney+ Europe functional leads and support the wider business objectives
- Partner with franchise and IP teams to support priority content campaigns.
- Partner with programming data and insights to take action on findings.
- Identify general audience programming gaps and audience segment opportunities
Success will be measured by subscriber engagement, ratings/views, subscriber growth and profitability as well as the ability to lead the team effectively, work collaboratively across functions/divisions and build healthy relationships with key external partners.
Areas of Accountability
- Regional responsibility for Europe & Africa
- Leadership of team of approximately 12
- Programming Acquisitions and Local Production budget
Basic Qualifications:Experience and skills required
- Proven experience in an Executive level media Video Content/Programming role, ideally with SVOD/ Streaming experience
- Multi-market experience in Europe preferable
- Track record of selecting content for a service, planning/programming the service and using data to guide/adjust editorial strategy
- Balanced creative and analytical thinker with ability to leverage data to drive strategy/decisions as well as view and understand content editorially
- Budget management experience and P&L understanding
- Ability to demonstrate strategic thinking and clarity of communications
- Strong relationship building skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Ability to manage and motivate staff
- Drives Results
- Inspires Creativity and Innovation
- Champions Change
- Builds Teams
- Demonstrates Professional Excellence
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company Ltd., which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
The Walt Disney Company Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.