R&D Engineer - Graduate London, United Kingdom
London, England, United KingdomApply NowApply Later
Job ID oNnDhfwO Location London, England, United Kingdom Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Nov. 17, 2021
We are looking for graduate software engineers for our R&D team, to develop state-of-the-art computer graphics tools that help artists create photo-realistic visual effects for major motion pictures.
We’re looking for junior software engineers in a wide range of specialties, with interests that span the entire visual effects pipeline:
- Modeling, rigging, animation, skinning, physically-based simulation
- Computer vision and data acquisition, facial modeling, performance capture
- Physically-based simulation of natural phenomena, procedural animation of crowds
- Compositing and image processing
- Virtual production, realtime rendering, in-camera visual effects
- Asset management, 3D scene representation and assembly, artist-facing pipeline design.
Who We Are:
Industrial Light & Magic, founded in 1975 by George Lucas, has created some of the most iconic moments in motion picture history. FromStar WarstoJurassic Park,The AvengerstoThe Mandalorian, theme park rides and interactive experiences, ILM continues to expand the possibilities of what visual entertainment can be.
ILM’s R&D and Core Pipeline groups develop the ground-breaking technology that our artists use to create dazzling visuals. ILM’s innovations have won 31 Scientific and Technical Academy Awards®. Today, we are 70+ visually-minded software engineers, working side-by-side with over a thousand digital artists in a fast-paced, intensely collaborative, creatively-driven film production environment, across studios in San Francisco, Vancouver, London, Singapore, and Sydney.
With over 45 years of experience, ILM is the best in the business, but we’re never content with the status quo. With a full slate of upcoming movies, we have the ambition to improve everything we do:
- Develop ever more powerful tools and production techniques that push the bounds of visual complexity and cinematic fidelity, and continue to create images no one has seen before.
- Improve our most powerful artist tools so they’re easier to learn and easier to use.
- Modernize our core infrastructure, and increase the throughput of our global compute and storage processes.
What You’ll Do:
- Work in a collaborative, distributed team of full-time software engineers, and work directly with highly specialized and supremely talented artists, in ILM’s studios in San Francisco, Vancouver, London, Singapore, and Sydney.
- Develop specialized computer graphics software tools, techniques, and pipeline systems for a wide range of visual effects production applications.
- Design artist-friendly user interfaces for authoring and interchanging 3D and 2D data as it moves between artists through the production pipeline.
- Extend, optimize, and simplify a sophisticated network of automated batch processes.
- Integrate commercial and open-source systems into the ILM production pipeline.
- Work with and extend ILM’s proprietary content creation systems.
- Split time between long-term software development projects and day-to-day production support.
Education / Experience:
- BS or advanced degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent experience.
- An intuitive understanding of the demands of a fast-paced, creatively-driven visual effects production environment.
- Collaboration: a readiness to trust others, be trustworthy, and play nice.
- Communication: an ability to express yourself concisely, a willingness to speak up, and a conviction to keep everyone informed of progress and issues.
- Empathy: an ability to listen intently and understand artists’ needs.
- Creativity: an insightful and analytical thinker, and a creative problem solver.
- Good knowledge of programming in C++ and/or Python on Linux.
- Good knowledge of computer graphics and animation concepts: character rigging, geometric deformations, dynamic simulation, shading and rendering, etc; expertise in a particular area is a plus; expertise in machine learning is a plus-plus.
- Knowledge of commercial animation and VFX software applications relevant to the discipline, such as: Maya, Houdini, Katana, Nuke, etc.
- Knowledge of industry-standard open-source software and systems relevant to the discipline, such as: OpenGL/CUDA, USD/Alembic, OpenVDB, OpenCV, OpenImageIO, etc.
- Experience with GUI toolkits: Qt, PySide, etc.
- Good knowledge of software design/development principles: design patterns, object-oriented design, agile development, etc.
- A willingness to work with a large, complex, mature, and dynamic code base.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.undefined
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.