Assignment Desk Editor IIApply NowApply Later Job ID 10058470 Location Los Angeles, California, United States / Town of Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business ESPN Date posted Aug. 05, 2023
The Assignment Editor participates in strategic editorial and logistical planning of coverage. The role consists of hiring camera crews and arranging feeds and/or transfer of content. Strategizing and organizing movement of IP-based transmission devices for coverage. Coordinating the efforts of freelance and staff producers and associated production/technical personnel to provide video and audio sports/news material for ESPN platforms. Handles all ancillary crew needs, such as parking, credentials, Ethernet, phone lines, and permits. Understands basic rights and clearances issues. Acts as the liaison between the Bureau staff, Shows, Media Operations, and Transmission. Gathers and communicates content for use on ESPN platforms, working with ESPN staff and vendors, social media, affiliates and other networks. Shifts will include nights and weekends.
This role can be based in either Bristol, CT or Los Angeles, CA.
- Hires freelance ENG crews
- Possesses depth of knowledge in fiber, satellite, cellular, FTP, and viral newsgathering procedures
- Assigns and coordinates movement of IP-based transmission devices Clears social media content for ESPN platforms
- Reacts immediately to breaking news and requests; pursues story-related materials (sound and video) in a timely manner
- Collaborates with ABC NewsOne/ABC affiliates, as well as other networks, on breaking news stories, sharing of information, video and sound
- Gathers and enters transmission information (satellite, fiber) for televised games
- Works well in a team setting, shows initiative and problem-solving skills; takes direction from assignment desk management, coordinating producers, producers and senior editors
- Stays informed and up-to-date on sporting events and has above-average sports knowledge
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills, with the capacity to handle high-volume email and phone traffic
- Demonstrated initiative and positive, solution-oriented outlook
- Advanced ability to organize and prioritize
- Commitment to accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong knowledge of sports
- Working knowledge of television production and electronic and social media newsgathering
- Working knowledge of Smartsheet and Microsoft Office programs: Outlook, Excel, Word
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in a television-related field
- High School Degree or equivalent required
- Bachelor's Degree Preferred
The hiring range for this position in California is $57,000.00 to $82,000.00 per year based on a 40-hour work week. The amount of hours scheduled per week may vary based on business needs. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: Disney Entertainment, ESPN, Disney Parks, and Experiences and Products. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Los Angeles Cable Sports Production, LLC, which is part of a business we call ESPN.
Los Angeles Cable Sports Production, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.