Director, Creative AcquisitionsApply NowApply Later Job ID R10011827 Location Los Angeles, California, United States Business Disney General Entertainment Content Date posted Apr. 28, 2021
OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANYDisney General Entertainment ContentDisney General Entertainment Content (DGE) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, DGE offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, DGE includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
Director, Creative Acquisitions, Walt Disney Television
The Creative Acquisitions Department at Walt Disney Television’s mission is to identify, acquire, and package intellectual property and literary material for television series development and production. The department sources and secures the rights to books, podcasts, and all other forms of source material that can be developed by ABC Signature, 20th Television, and 20th Animation’s world-class roster of showrunners, writers, directors and talent for ABC, Hulu, Freeform, FX, Disney+, NatGeo and other platforms. This is an opportunity to work closely with a boutique, inclusive team and contribute meaningfully to a department at the epicenter of a niche and in-demand segment of the entertainment industry.
The Director position offers room for growth and is ideally suited for a candidate who is committed to a career as a television creative executive. We are seeking a creative, curious, collaborative and tenacious team member who can contribute passion and innovative ideas to the television development process, and maintain the department’s fun, positive, respectful, and diverse energy. We encourage risk taking. bold ideas, and personal and professional growth.
Some of the position’s primary tasks will include:
- Evaluating a high volume of intellectual properties (books, articles, podcasts, etc.) and providing analytical and creative insights.
- Pitching ideas, presenting, coordinating, and collaborating with other departments including but not limited to: Creative Executives (Development and Current), Business Affairs, Legal Affairs, Marketing, PR, and affiliate businesses.
- Interfacing with high-level Talent (overall deal writers, producers, etc.) and Executives across all studios and platforms at WDT to pitch ideas and discuss materials.
- Proactively maintaining and sourcing relationships with authors, journalists, creators, intellectual property rights holders, representatives, estates, and aggregators, etc.
- Researching and initiating special projects as needed.
- Managing and optimizing internal department infrastructure and processes necessary to track IP across media, supporting the team’s ability to proactively surface high value properties at scale. Helping to manage and oversee department reports, databases, etc.
- Exercising sound creative and financial judgement in the pursuit of materials for acquisition.
- Attending relevant industry conferences, book fairs, and events as needed, and seeking out new opportunities.
- Minimum 5 years of executive experience in the entertainment industry (IP & literary affairs executive or scout, film/TV creative executive or producer, media rights literary agent/manager, publishing agent/scout/editor, etc.)
- A self-starter who can pro-actively contribute and work collaboratively, as well as autonomously, in a small team environment.
- A passion for television and reading, and a voracious appetite for pop culture and storytelling.
- A commitment to diverse and inclusive storytelling in all categories.
- An ability to think critically about content and articulate those thoughts succinctly and effectively.
- Depth and breadth of knowledge about the intellectual property marketplace (knowledge of authors, materials, publishers, producers, etc.)
- Depth and breadth of meaningful relationships across entertainment industry and intellectual property marketplace (contacts with representatives, editors, etc.)
- Understanding of media business models (especially intellectual property rights deals) and experience working with creative stakeholders.
- Proven analytical and quantitative skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally, track and manage multiple projects at scale.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and an ability to multi-task.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with project management at an Executive level.
- Ability to create and maintain relationships internally and externally.
- Experience working collaboratively across multiple company departments or divisions.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
About Disney General Entertainment Content:
The General Entertainment Content group creates original entertainment and news content for the Company’s streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney General Entertainment Content, which is part of a business segment we call Disney General Entertainment Content.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.