General Editor, Global SoccerApply NowApply Later Job ID 841655BR Location Los Angeles, California, United States; Bristol, Connecticut, United States Business ESPN and Sports Content Date posted Sep. 13, 2021
ESPN is looking for a talented sports news editor with an outstanding knowledge of global soccer and impressive sports journalism experience. This exciting opportunity will involve working on a fast-paced news desk; breaking stories, publishing quick and accurate copy, sourcing news and working with reporters to uphold the highest standards of journalism. The role requires an understanding of a 24/7 news environment that includes desktop, mobile, social and personalized platforms. While soccer news will be the priority, this role will also span coverage across a range of international sports, including MMA, boxing, tennis and Olympic sports. This is a full-time, staff position and comes with a competitive benefits package. Candidates will work in a vibrant, dynamic and engaging environment. This job will be based in either Bristol, CT, or Los Angeles.
- Produce clean, accurate and engaging copy across a range of sports, with soccer a key priority
- Work closely with ESPN FC's team of reporters, building close relationships with key writers and internal stakeholders
- Work to tight deadlines, especially on breaking news, paying particular attention to effective SEO practices
- Effectively and decisively communicate with the wider global team, ensuring optimum distribution of key content and breaking news
- Identify stories that will resonate with our global audience and look for the most creative angles to tell them
- Manage ESPN's daily content budget to ensure key news stories are covered, delegated and distributed to a wide audience
- Contribute to, and sometimes lead, key editorial meetings regarding effective newsgathering and long-term priorities and objectives
- Coordinate staffing assignments, editorial resources and processes
- Champion ESPN's approach to diversity and inclusion
- Excellent sports knowledge, especially global soccer
- Able to write clean news copy under pressure
- Excellent editing skills, top-class attention to detail and a talent for finding and demanding the strongest news lines
- Great communication skills; picking up the phone should come naturally to you
- Experience of working in sports news, ideally on a news desk
- Experience of working with reporters in a highly competitive, rapidly changing environment
- The ability to speak a second language, especially Spanish, is desirable
- Proficiency in SEO and the ability to use metrics to learn lessons about our audience
- High School Diploma
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Journalism, Communications, English or a related field.
- We operate shift patterns, so you must be comfortable working weekends, late nights and flexible hours
About ESPN and Sports Content:
The ESPN and Sports Content group acquires and produces ESPN’s live sports programming, as well as sports news and original and non-scripted sports-related content, for The Walt Disney Company’s cable channels, ESPN+, and ABC.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN and Sports Content.
ESPN Productions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.