ParalegalApply NowApply Later Job ID 975770BR Location Los Angeles, California, United States / Los Angeles, California, United States Business 20th Television Date posted Jun. 25, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
You’d be a key member of a dynamic team that creates original, engaging content for a variety of platforms, including network, cable and subscription video-on-demand, and you would work with some of the most creative, intelligent people in the business. Join us – apply today!
This position currently reports to the Assistant Chief Counsel at 20th Television.
You would draft and negotiate various types of below-the-line talent agreements as well as other production agreements, prepare and maintain charts for various projects throughout the year, research issues for ad hoc intellectual property and production requests and prepare research memoranda, develop and update standard forms & templates, file necessary paperwork regarding tax credits for Canadian productions and update databases. Maintain all administrative duties with strong knowledge of legal processes and procedures. Work closely with studio attorneys and business affairs executives.
Responsibilities:On any given day you might:
- Review, draft and comment upon location, nuisance, exterior agreements, facility agreements, short term leases, equipment rental and clip license agreements;
- Prepare nudity/simulated sex riders;
- Prepare VFX and Main Title Agreements;
- Draft set transfer and release agreements and work-for-hire release agreements for vendors;
- Work under the supervision of senior attorneys on day –to –day production matters on current series;
- Draft guest talent riders and amendments for above- the –line talent; handle clearance issues, review of outlines and scripts, preparation of E&O memos and review of on screen credits;
- Draft nondisclosure/confidentiality agreements, settlement/release agreements, stock footage license agreements and prop rental agreements;
- Review of chain of title and draft analysis as well as reviewing underlying source materials (e.g., scripts, prior films, and books) in connection with development projects;
- Review and compare drafts/versions of various legal documents, notices of tentative writing credits, and standard terms;
- Conduct research, proof read existing work, and prepare regular reports and summaries;
- Interface directly with other senior executives and their support teams – your ability to work well with people on all levels is a very important part of your job; and
- Handle extremely confidential, sensitive information, remembering that Disney is a publicly traded company.
- At least 2 years of experience in a Paralegal or similar role at a studio, network or law firm;
- Sharp written and verbal communication skills, including flawless grammar and a rich vocabulary;
- Very strong organizational skills and extreme attention to detail;
- Desire to immerse yourself fully and learn all aspects of the studio business;
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize deadlines/deliverables;
- Strong proficiency with all types of computers, phones and office equipment, as well as mastery of Microsoft Office programs (including Excel, Outlook and Word);
- Complete reliability handling confidential, often highly sensitive information;
- Desire to truly be helpful to your leaders and co-workers, to go the extra mile without being asked;
- Some flexibility in your schedule – we value work/life balance, but in a pinch, a bit more time is needed; and
- A highly professional demeanor, positive outlook and a can-do attitude.
- Experience at The Walt Disney Company;
- Experience working in a large public corporation; and
- Experience working in television production.
- BA degree and paralegal certificate from an ABA-approved program required; experience in a television production legal environment or experience within a transactional department at a law firm is strongly preferred.
- JD preferred, but not required if you have strong paralegal skills and experience.
- Paid time off, 401K participation, a retirement savings plan, discounts on a wide variety of offerings, medical/dental/vision insurance and educational reimbursement-just to name a few!
About 20th Television:
20th Television is one of the industry's most prolific suppliers of primetime television programming and entertainment content, including the No 1. Series on all of broadcast, NBC’s THIS IS US; Fox’s No. 1 drama, 9-1-1 and No. 1 comedy LAST MAN STANDING, ABC’s five-time Emmy Award-winner MODERN FAMILY, FX’s No. 1 series AMERICAN HORROR STORY; and the longest-running primetime scripted series in the history of television, THE SIMPSONS, in addition to dozens of others. The studio’s cable production division, Fox 21 Television Studios, is responsible for acclaimed and award-winning series including AMERICAN CRIME STORY, HOMELAND, THE AMERICANS, SONS OF ANARCHY, GENIUS and POSE. The studio’s content now reaches more than a billion people every day across the world; in as many as 180 countries, across six continents, in 30 different languages.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp., which is part of a business we call 20th Television.
TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.