Principal CounselApply NowApply Later Job ID 985364BR Location Los Angeles, California, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Jun. 12, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
Hulu's Legal Department is seeking an experienced attorney with strong business judgment to support our fast-paced and innovative marketing teams in original content development initiatives, including scripted pilot/series, documentaries, specials, ancillary content, co-branded and/or sponsored content and brand spots and promos.
In this role, you will lead negotiations, analyze deal structures and advise on strategy, costs, business terms, talent relations and other information relating to the development, production and licensing of original productions for Hulu’s marketing organization.
The successful candidate should have at least five (5) years of business and legal affairs experience in the development, production and licensing of content, branded content and advertising content partnerships. If you're equal parts leader & doer, who brings an ambitious, efficient, and inclusive spirit to all you do, we'd love you to join our team!
- Negotiate rights, provide business expertise, analyze risk, and develop processes regarding contracts and licenses for original content production
- Negotiate talent deals and have familiarity with guild rules
- Partner with fellow legal team members (including IP, Labor, Employment, Privacy) to draft term sheets and other documentation, manage rights analysis (including licensing, talent and third-party rights and approvals), conduct risk assessments and provide advice on compliance with laws and regulatory matters
- Work closely with internal teams, particularly creative and finance departments, to set content strategy, financial plan and programming calendar for Hulu’s marketing organization
- Act as a business liaison between Hulu’s marketing team and the creative community (e.g., talent agencies, studios and independent production companies)
- Provide general business counsel in a rapidly changing business and tech environment
- Navigate complex and nuanced clearances (e.g., visuals, products, sports, estates, etc.)
- Advise on legal implications and guidance around new ad franchise development
- Build out workflows for this new and growing team, and oversee their adoption/implementation as the team continues to grow and the volume of work scales up.
- Seven (7) years total experience (at least 5 years doing television business and legal affairs)
- Extensive knowledge of television/SVOD transactions including network and studio licensing, co-productions, development and talent deals, IP acquisitions, contingent compensation structures, and agency package arrangements
- Extensive familiarity with production budgets and the ability to provide business counsel on all production matters
- High degree of knowledge related to unions and guilds, production tax incentives, and international co-productions
- Excellent leadership, supervisory, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong analytical capabilities and judgment.
- Ability to work proactively, independently, and reliably under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to tackle matters outside of expertise.
- JD or equivalent
- Strong academic credentials
- Admission to California State Bar in good standing or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel
Additional Information:#legalaffairs #corp_media #li-jb3
Just like the best ensemble casts of our favorite shows, Hulu embraces diversity and is an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local law. Hulu is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants if needed during the interview process. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp., which is part of a business we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
TWDC Enterprises 18 Corp. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.