Principal CounselApply NowApply Later Job ID 10008769 Location Los Angeles, California, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Aug. 05, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
Hulu is the leading premium streaming service offering live and on-demand TV and movies, with and without commercials, both in and outside the home. Operating at the intersection of entertainment and technology, Hulu has a unique opportunity to be the number one choice for TV. We captivate and connect viewers with the stories they love, and we’re looking for people who are passionate about redefining TV through innovation, unconventional thinking, and embracing fun. Join us and see what Hulugan life is all about.
Hulu’s Legal Department is seeking a seasoned attorney with significant content distribution and carriage experience to lead the negotiating, drafting and closing of content distribution agreements for Hulu’s live linear service (Hulu + Live TV) and premium add-on services. The ideal candidate for this position will be able to be strategic in negotiations, lead multiple projects with strong attention to detail, and have significant experience negotiating and drafting carriage agreements on behalf of major television networks and/or MVPDs. If you are someone who is a down-to-earth team player and have a passion to work on innovative content distribution deals, then this is a great role for you.
- Lead negotiations and draft agreements for industry-first content distribution agreements with cable and broadcast TV networks.
- Provide key counsel to the Content Partnerships team to grow Hulu’s live linear service and premium add-on services.
- Understand the high-level business goals of the company and provide strategic guidance that marries the business and legal initiatives of the company.
- Partner directly with Hulu’s business executives and team members in all phases of each carriage deal
- Lead the expansion of Hulu’s content lineup and reach across key platforms and devices.
- Advise internal partners across the company on operationalizing contractual requirements.
- Seek and provide input and drive consensus across the company’s various business units (e.g., technology, product, finance, marketing) as deal terms are crafted and finalized.
- 7+ years of legal experience.
- Experience negotiating and drafting content distribution and carriage agreements (e.g., in-house counsel at a major television network or MVPD, or law firm candidates who negotiate carriage agreements on behalf of such entities).
- At least 5 years of experience at a television network, MVPD or law firm focusing on distribution/TV carriage agreements is highly preferred.
- At least 3 years of experience at a law firm focusing on complex corporate transactions (M&A, finance, distribution or licensing) is highly preferred.
- Ability to counsel and lead Hulu’s business teams from both a business and legal perspective.
- A very strong understanding of technology, consumer electronics and the Internet.
- Ability to work proactively, independently, and reliably under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to tackle matters outside of expertise.
- JD or equivalent
- Strong academic credentials
- Admission to California State Bar in good standing or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel
Just like the best ensemble casts of our favorite shows, Hulu embraces diversity and is an inclusive environment. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local law. Hulu is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants if needed during the interview process. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Hulu Enterprises, LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Hulu Enterprises, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.