Principal Software EngineerApply NowApply Later Job ID 7119508820220417 Location Los Angeles, California, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Jun. 29, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
We are the Content Platforms team with a mission to “reimagine the technical ecosystem that empowers The Walt Disney Company to harness its unparalleled storytelling and distribute it around the world.” Content Platforms is part of the Disney Media and Entertainment Distribution (DMED) segment which is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in conjunction with ESPN; Disney+, the Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; global advertising sales and ad technology for all of Disney’s media properties, including ABC, ESPN, Freeform, FX Networks, National Geographic and the Disney Channels; Hotstar, the leading over-the-top streaming service in India; and the Company’s majority ownership stake in Hulu.
- Enjoy working with teams of talented and passionate people
- Have excellent communication skills
- Demonstrate determination in finding solutions to complex puzzles
- Have the curiosity and interests in how content goes from inception to consumers
- Employ positive thinking and are able to work constructively in a diverse team setting
- Enjoy transforming business strategy into innovative products & platforms
- Value learning and being exposed to new experiences
- Love working in a startup culture
- Find Media & Entertainment industry fascinating
then Content Platforms team is the place for you. We are growing and investing in innovative technology to deliver a state-of-the-art content pipeline. Come be a part of the magic that makes The Walt Disney Company one of the “World’s Most Admired Companies”.
Responsibilities:The Content Platforms team is looking for a technical leader to drive the engineering and architecture direction of the digital products that provide partners a white glove experience accessing the archive of the Disney content vault. This person will be a driving force in the re-imagining of multiple applications into a single flexible architecture that can be configured to present a flexible user experience.
- Provide subject matter expertise on design and coding best practices and assisting in building and implementing related guidelines and standards.
- Advise on architecture and propose solutions that span multiple teams and organizations
- Maintain a deep understanding of our core systems and how they interact with upstream and downstream dependencies.
- Contribute and review code, set standards, and work with engineers to ensure product and design specifications are met
- Responsible for fundamental platform performance, scalability, and resiliency
- Partner with stakeholders to refine requirements, and propose solutions to problems that span multiple teams
- Influence and contribute to department technical strategy and planning
- Provide mentoring to engineers on advanced technical issues
- Research, learn, and evangelize widespread adoption of new technologies and architecture patterns
- Lead cross-functional troubleshooting of complex issues as needed
- Strategic planning and vision focused on experimenting with and deploying new technologies
- Define requirements and architecture for multi-layered systems
- Direct and influence the efforts of engineers across teams
- Partner with leaders from other teams to ensure the planning and delivery of medium and large scale projects
- Has had a leading role in the design, implementation, and deployment of one or more high volume, cross-functional enterprise-level system.
- Has had a leading role in initiatives that span across one or more departments in your division
- Expert understanding of async programming models (events, callbacks, etc)
- Expertise designing APIs and building RESTful services
- Mastery in Java and experience with multiple open-source technologies like; Kotlin, Spring, Tomcat, Nginx, Solr, Redis, MongoDB, GraphQL, etc.
- Experience using C#, .NET to review legacy systems is also strongly desired
- Expert knowledge in cloud-based technologies such as AWS EC2, SQS, S3, Lambdas, DynamoDB, Elasticsearch, Cloudformation/Terraform, Fargate and Azure Functions, Database, Service Bus, API Management, SQL Database etc.
- Expertise with full lifecycle of application development, including best practices of unit testing, code reviews, documentation, etc.
- Highly knowledgeable with build and deployment technologies such as Jenkins and Docker
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies. Can effectively articulate complex ideas and influence others through well-reasoned explanations
- 10+ years relevant industry experience
- BS Computer Science or related technical discipline or its equivalent
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.