Senior Publicist- NHL, Action Sports & W. Coast CommunicationsApply NowApply Later Job ID 888183BR Location Los Angeles, California, United States Business ESPN Date posted Nov. 22, 2021
- Support the development and execution of detailed publicity campaigns for NHL, X Games, and manage publicity and on-site presence for media covering marquee games and events;
- Develop press materials, including press kits, press releases, fact sheets, bios, plan press events, etc.;
- Develop and maintain relationships with key media members in various beats, including television, business, sports, trades, and non-traditional media (blogs, social platforms and influencers);
- Identify and create story angles, pitch them to various media outlets and generate publicity results;
- Coordination of on-air commentator, executive and athlete interviews with press;
- Establish pre-event and on-site communication with media and local host city entities and partners for X Games events;
- Support event media operations and logistics for X Games events;
- Support certain ESPN Digital initiatives including digital shows and ESPN Edge;
- Monitor industry news in print, online and on social media platforms and advise appropriate colleagues of important developments;
- Maintain press lists and create results reports related to specific initiatives;
- Build strong internal relationships to work collaboratively across teams and departments;
- Collaborate with designated PR reps from key business partners to drive shared goals;
- Embrace new tools and approaches to serve as a 360 communicator, serving both internal and external audiences. Generate story ideas and multimedia assets to creatively engage a variety of audiences online. This includes creating regular new material for ESPN’s internal employee website, content for ESPN PR social platforms and ESPN Front Row, the company’s outward-facing corporate blog;
- When appropriate, act as company liaison and spokesperson with media;
- Support Communications department on other West Coast publicity projects;
- Crisis PR and issue management support;
- Understand the demands of working for a 24/7 media company and be willing and available to work evenings and weekends
- 2-3 years’ experience in television communications, public relations or media relations working with and pitching reporters beyond sports, securing story placement, managing and reporting follow-up and coordinating events
- Excellent PR, communications and writing skills
- Results-oriented and experienced in media pitching across spectrum of media (TV, print, online, radio, magazines, trades)
- Demonstrated knowledge/understanding of sports, media and news value
- National media contacts across TV (morning/late night), print, online, magazines, radio, trades
- Strategic and creative thinker
- Detail oriented
- Self-starter and positive personality
- Ability to handle multiple tasks on deadline in fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in social media: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, etc.
- Basic knowledge of TV ratings, sports cable TV and direct-to-consumer landscape preferred
- Flexibility, resourcefulness and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing and growing environment
- Must be able to travel for work/production/events
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Communications, PR, Journalism or other relevant areas
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Productions, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.
ESPN Productions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.