Virtual Production Engineer Los Angeles, CA
Los Angeles, California, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID oSBEafw1 Location Los Angeles, California, United States Business Industrial Light & Magic Date posted Sep. 12, 2019
The primary focus of the Virtual Production Engineer is to ensure operational integrity of a complete, on set virtual production system.
What You’ll Do
- Maintain complex hardware, video, & software solutions to assist in virtual production data acquisition & display on set.
- Provide front-line technical support for virtual production operators, artists, and production staff.
- Troubleshoot complex, on set technical issues, package up problems, and redirect to global engineering team when required.
- Script on set virtual production tools to meet immediate, production demands.
- Maintain and ensure correct setup of virtual production hardware systems.
- Help maintain a wide array of existing workflows and scripts.
- Update documentation for virtual production hardware or software setup to reflect any on set changes.
- Work as part of the global ILM virtual production team to provide effective virtual production solutions.
- Together with on set virtual production operators, test and validate newly deployed or released hardware or software solutions. Work closely with global engineering team in testing and releasing new and modified systems.
- When not executing work for a specific on set production, serve on virtual production engineering team by working on projects that improve the reliability and efficiency of virtual production systems.
- Interface with engineering leads throughout the Lucasfilm companies regarding the state of the on set virtual production systems.
- Communicate effectively with supervisors and other virtual production team members.
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field.
- 5 years experience in VFX or similar digital production facility.
- Proficiency with realtime workflows and virtual production technology is desirable.
- On set experience is desirable.
Hardware and Systems
- Extensive knowledge of Linux environments and administration
- Experience with signal and/or video hardware systems
- Experience with interfacing external devices via APIs and protocols.
- Experience with virtual reality equipment is desirable.
- Experience with networking hardware and protocols is desirable
- Expert knowledge of programming in Python.
- Experience using and scripting for DCC editors and/or 3D tools.
- Experience with C/C++ programming is desirable.
Personal / Professional
- Ability to troubleshoot under pressure
- Ability to work well with a wide range of personality types.
- Must possess strong communication skills.
- Ability to work extended hours
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic.
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.