Assistant Editor, DigitalApply NowApply Later Job ID 784313BR Location Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Business ESPN Date posted May 03, 2021
We are hiring a Assistant Editor to manage production, publication, promotion and social media of ESPN digital content, including but not limited to ESPN.com, ESPNcricinfo and ESPNfootytips, across all digital platforms in Australia and New Zealand. This is an initial 12 month fixed term contract opportunity.
The Assistant Editor for ESPN.com.au must have a passion for sport, in particular sports in Australia, New Zealand and the United States, and an in-depth knowledge of domestic and international leagues and clubs with a particular emphasis on AFL, and experience covering, editing and producing related content. In addition, the Assistant Editor will work closely with ESPN.com.au’s senior team members to develop a comprehensive, engaging and informative product that sets ESPN apart from the competition. This includes developing world-class multiplatform content and taking advantage of all the resources at ESPN, including but not limited to TV production, audio and video content.
- Daily maintenance of ESPN.com.au, including but not limited to match reports, copy editing, headline and blurb writing, photo selection and site management.
- Daily communication with and assistance in programming of ESPN’s suite of Global pages
- Contribute to Global Events as a member of the relevant editorial teams as required.
- Work alongside the wider Editorial Team to develop and implement an integrated editorial strategy by which ESPN.com.au content informs, entertains and engages the audience, and promotes the broadcast company; work closely with other editors to shape ESPN’s digital coverage.
- Contribute to the production of local written, video and social content, with an emphasis on AFL coverage in Melbourne.
- Management of live events both domestically and internationally.
- Use analytics to inform content decisions.
- Contribute to the growth of mobile first video consumption as a company priority and generate and execute original video ideas.
- Maintain a detailed knowledge of the world of domestic and international sport, and a good grasp of current affairs, pop culture and trending topics outside sport to inform decision-making.
- Submit ideas and suggestions regarding content to the Senior Editor.
- In conjunction with key stakeholders – particularly the Social Media Lead and Senior Editor - help execute the social strategy to grow the ESPN audience and increase engagement across its multi-platform portfolio of brands, particularly through the development of a distinct voice for social pillars across Facebook, Instagram, & Twitter.
- Knowledge of an experience in assessing social analytics to inform content decisions.
- Assist in the development of social media strategies to engage with fans across major events in multiple sports
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in journalism, communications or a related field.
- Demonstrated digital media experience in writing, site management, reporting and content creation. Experience in AFL media being a distinct advantage.
- Good news judgment and strong editing skills are especially important.
- Able to follow and shape stories at various stages of development using various means of presentation; advanced news judgment, and understand sport from a journalistic point of view.
- Excellent English grammar and organisational skills.
- Some video editing or production experience will be looked upon favourably.
- Understanding of HTML and related web-authoring tools and software, and social media tools.
- Strong knowledge of social media and emerging technologies.
- Appreciation of pop culture and the tastes of ESPN's audiences.
- An ability to write accurately and coherently under pressure.
- Ability to work autonomously and contribute to ESPN’s global coverage.
- Must be able to demonstrate strong initiative and self-motivation.
- Attention to detail and an ability to embrace new technologies are vital.
- The ability to develop contacts and to use them as appropriate.
Additional Information:Will need to be able to work evenings, weekends and public holidays as necessary to maintain a 24/7 website.
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Australia Pty Ltd, which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.