Associate Editor, CricinfoApply NowApply Later Job ID 800720BR Location Melbourne, Victoria, Australia Business ESPN Date posted May 30, 2021
- Utilise existing contacts, and develop new ones in order to break news and write stories for ESPNCricinfo platforms globally.
- Cover cricket matches, both from the venue and remote, and write match reports, previews and analysis pieces and do pieces to camera when required.
- Interview players and cricket administrators for newsy pieces and features, both in text and video.
- Writing ball-by-ball commentary for live matches.
- Work alongside the Deputy Editor and broader Editorial Team to develop and implement an integrated editorial strategy by which ESPNcricinfo content informs, entertains and engages the audience, and continues to place the business at the forefront of global cricket coverage.
- Programming of ESPNcricinfo, including but not limited to match reports, copy editing, headline and blurb and photo selection.
- Daily communication with, and programming of, ESPNcricinfo’s suite of Global pages.
- Produce original content and repurpose and upload third-party material, manage photos and video, and maintain ESPNcricinfo socials and other ancillary products.
- Management of live events, both locally and internationally.
- Liaise with freelance contributors to ensure topicality and relevance of comment and analysis, and with global management and editorial teams to ensure aligned content creation while exploring new avenues to develop the ANZ audience.
- Develop and implement new ways of working and thinking, facilitating more timely delivery of content.
- Maintain a detailed knowledge of the world of domestic and international cricket, and a good grasp of current affairs, pop culture and trending topics outside sport to inform decision-making.
- Submit ideas and suggestions regarding content to the Deputy Editor.
- Contribute to Global Events as a member of the relevant editorial teams as required.
- Develop strategies to further integrate ESPNcricinfo content into existing local ESPN properties including ESPN.com.au editorial and social platforms, and the Footytips and Fantasy brands.
- Contribute to the growth of video and audio consumption as a company priority and generate and execute original video and audio ideas.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in journalism, communications or a related field.
- Typically 3-5 years of writing, news reporting, content creation and/or editing/programming experience within cricket.
- Strong news judgment and superior editing skills are especially important; examples of previous work are required.
- Able to follow and shape stories at various stages of development using various means of presentation; advanced news judgment, and understand cricket from a journalistic point of view.
- Excellent English grammar and organisational skills.
- Understanding of HTML and related web-authoring tools and software, and social media tools.
- Strong knowledge of social media and emerging technologies.
- Appreciation of broader social culture and the tastes of ESPNCricinfo’s audiences, and the wider Australian and New Zealand sport’s audience
- A strong instinct and natural passion for news gathering.
- An ability to write accurately and coherently under pressure.
- Ability to work autonomously and contribute to ESPNCricinfo’s global coverage.
- Must be able to demonstrate strong initiative and self-motivation.
- Attention to detail and an ability to embrace new technologies are vital.
- The ability to develop contacts and to use them as appropriate.
Additional Information:Will need to be able to work evenings, overnights, weekends and public holidays as necessary to maintain a 24/7 digital platform and news cycle.
This is unique opportunity to join the talented team that develops and delivers unparalleled entertainment across Australia and New Zealand so if this role captures your imagination then apply now!
The Walt Disney Company & ESPN are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strive to be a diverse and inclusive workforce that is representative of our audiences, and where all can thrive and belong. We are committed to building a team that includes and respects a variety of voices, identities, backgrounds, experiences and perspectives.
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. Every day we’re doing things that no one has done, all in a dynamic culture where we defy odds and continuously outdo ourselves. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with ESPN Australia Pty Ltd, which is part of a business segment we call ESPN.