Already applied?View Dashboard
Android EngineerApply Now Apply Later Job ID 554070BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Studio Entertainment Brand Marvel Date posted May. 09, 2018
Job Summary:Marvel Entertainment is seeking a talented Android Engineer to help support the Marvel Unlimited app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.marvel.unlimited&hl=en.
The candidate will work with the Digital Comics team to improve the Marvel Unlimited Android app, and possibly other apps, within Marvel's Mobile team. Your primary focus will be the development of Android applications and their integration with back-end services.
At Marvel, you will work with a top-notch development team building the engine which powers Marvel’s successful comics online businesses. Commitment to collaborative problem solving, technical design/implementation, and creating quality products is essential. You will help implement innovative mobile solutions, which excite both long-time Marvel fans and new users alike.
This is an on-site position in Marvel’s NYC office. Remote working is not supported. Candidates must be legally permitted to work in the United States, H1B visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
- Ensure engineering excellence to deliver robust, secure, scalable, and high performance apps & enhancements in a timely manner.
- Maintenance and new development of Java code to improve and extend the Marvel Unlimited Android App.
- Work with traditional software lifecycle methodologies. Create design documents when required. Perform coding, debugging and testing. Identify and correct bottlenecks and fix bugs.
- Participate in design brainstorming sessions, technical design reviews, bug triage, and functional walkthroughs.
- Constructive attitude in peer code reviews and mentorship.
- Help maintain code quality, organization, and automatization
- Software development experience in Java and Android Studio.
- Have published one or more Android apps in the Google Play Store.
- Experience with third-party libraries and RESTful APIs.
- Proficient in the principles of networking and the HTTP protocol.
- Solid understanding of the full mobile development life cycle.
- Knowledge of the Java Android performance tools and optimization techniques.
- Great communication and collaboration skills, and a strong teamwork ethic.
- Strong sense of ownership and urgency.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Critical thinking skills and a high attention to detail.
- Experience working with different Android OS variations (4.4 and up).
- Understanding of Git branching models such as GitFlow and comfortable doing code reviews.
- Familiar with automated testing using Espresso and Jenkins.
- Experience working with supporting libraries:
- embedded local storage solutions such as SQLite.
- networking libraries such as Retrofit, OkHTTP.
- image libraries such as Picasso and PhotoView.
- performance tuning and crash reporting applications such as New Relic.
- Knowledge of Gradle/Groovy scripting a plus.
- Knowledge of RxJava a plus.
Marvel Entertainment, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is one of the world's most prominent character-based entertainment companies, built on a proven library of over 8,000 characters featured in a variety of media over seventy years. Marvel utilizes its character franchises in entertainment, licensing and publishing.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Marvel Digital Media Group LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Marvel.
Marvel Digital Media Group LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.