Art Director, Hyperion Adult & The Undefeated ImprintApply NowApply Later Job ID 789183BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Publishing Worldwide Date posted Jun. 04, 2021
- Responsible for overseeing the extensive list of original adult fiction and non fiction.• Oversee in-house designers and freelance designers for each season's list from concept stage to final book.• Art direct and oversee the production of our eBook list.• Mentor and inspire the designers, in and out of house.• Assign titles and liaise with the editors for each project.• Brainstorm with the Art and Editorial teams for cover concept ideas.• Work with the designers on creating cover comps for First Look and Cover Concept meetings.• Present at the weekly Cover Concept meeting to show the covers to the Marketing, Publicity, and Sales teams.• Collaborate with the designers as they create jacket mechanicals, interior sample pages, decide printing effects, etc. to create a strong overall package.
- Work with the editors to create visually stunning books from cover-to-cover with innovative concepts and breathtaking art that is both true to the content and distinct from anything else in the market.• Create concepts, design jackets and interiors on an average of eleven titles per list.• Source new talent and art direct illustrators, photographers, stylists and hand letterers to deliver beautiful jackets•Work with editors to decide how to accommodate feedback from authors, agents, marketing and sales departments.• Negotiate cost and timing with the artist's representatives for the best product within budget and timeframe.•Design the book as a full package with a lot of pieces that need to work together. Details of the spine and interiors need to be as well thought out as the cover.
- Work closely with other to departments to form a visual language for books that work across different company brands to create relevant design work.• Art direct and design IP projects establishing a visual brand that works across different media to build excitement from the start of the project.•Refine routing procedures that work in and out of the company and to think ahead for future opportunities for new series, relationships, etc.• Help extend existing content by suggesting bind-ups, prequels and repackages. Help build a back list and revisit our existing titles by continually updating covers with popular themes or written by popular authors to match current visual branding that are working in the market place.• Establish and oversee the eBook workflow.
- Be a partner and resource to other divisions so they can trust and rely on you to relay information, transfer files and address day to day issues.• Establish and maintain communication between the Art, Editorial, and Production departments to ensure cost efficiency, timely execution, quality control and follow-through from design transmittal to bound books.• Work with Sales and Marketing departments.• Work with the editorial, managing editorial and eBook teams to implement and coordinate efficient routing procedures
- Exercise fiscal responsibility by managing the budgets when commissioning illustrators and planning photo shoots for all the jackets created.• Be mindful of the production of our books and work with the Production team to make sure the final product has the most cost-effective printing effects while still being visually stunning.• Help establish and reassess the regular routing procedures for our jacket, cover and interior mechanicals to make sure all procedures stay efficient.• Manage the eBook team's expectations
- 15 years of book design experience in trade book publishing, has knowledge of all aspects of book design, from concept to production, ability to offer unique design solutions for a wide range of projects and also work with freelance illustrators and designers. The Art Director will manage the Hyperion adult list working with the Editorial Director and a team of designers. B.A. in Art, Design, or something similar or equivalent work experience.
About Disney Publishing Worldwide:
Disney Publishing Worldwide helps bring our Company’s stories and characters to life through innovative and engaging physical products and digital experiences across more than 100 categories, from toys and t-shirts, to apps, books and console games.The business is home to world-class teams of app and game developers, licensing and retail experts, a leading retail business (Disney Store), artists and storytellers, and technologists who inspire imaginations and bring the magic of Disney into the daily lives of families and fans around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Buena Vista Books, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Disney Publishing Worldwide.
Buena Vista Books, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.