Associate DesignerApply NowApply Later Job ID 773912BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Parks, Experiences and Products Date posted Feb. 19, 2021
- Production of replica eBooks, as well the different/specialized formats across the Disney Hyperion, Disney Press, Marvel, Lucas, Kingswell, National Geographic Adult and Kids imprints. The Associate Designer prepares both reflow (novels) and fixed (picture books) format eBooks and eBooks with audio.
- Attend the eBook and Audible production meetings and be the point person for the Hyperion design team.
- Works closely with the eBook editor, eBook Managing editor and eBook production team.
- Release an average of 10 book files a month to the eBook conversion team, about 120 titles a year.
- Convert cover files for Audible titles. All titles need to converted to the new format and need to include proper branding. The program will release with 83 titles. If this changes and the print designers become responsible for the conversion of the Audible and Audio titles, the eBook designs will still need to create the templates and review the files.
- Work closely with the editors and marketing team to create templates for ads that are included in the back of an eBook.
- Manage and designs up to 15 hardcover print titles per year including key author Rick Riordan Presents titles, Create and Reimagined IP projects which include picture books, illustrated chapter books, graphic novels and middle grade through adult fiction.
- Design layout and typography, and art direct illustrators, photographers, retouches and handletterers.
- Excellent communicator, collaborating with editors, sales and marketing staff through meetings, e-mails and phone calls.
- Work with their manager to negotiate contracts with illustrators, photographers, handletterers
- Create complex mechanicals for in-house review and for printers to produce. The Designer must be able to review proofs, approving lead title jackets on press and create digital images for sales, marketing and publicity.
- Create special design projects such as “instant” logos needed for presentations/decks or key acquisition/offer letters.
- 1-3 years design experience
- Design talent in creating innovative book design, application of typography, layout, color.
- Computer design skills: proficient in Adobe Creative Suite
- Interest in children’s books publishing
- Very organized, ability to work on many projects simultaneously
- Ability to present ideas and collaborate
- Bachelor of Fine Arts degree or comparable experience.
Additional Information:Benefits and Perks: Disney offers a rewards package to help you live your best life. This includes health and savings benefits, educational opportunities and special extras that only Disney can provide. Learn more about our benefits and perks at https://jobs.disneycareers.com/benefits
About Parks, Experiences and Products:
The Parks, Experiences and Products segment includes Disney’s iconic travel and leisure businesses, which include six resort destinations in the United States, Europe and Asia, a top-rated cruise line, a popular vacation ownership program, and an award-winning guided family adventure business. Disney’s global consumer products operations include the world’s leading licensing business across toys, apparel, home goods, digital games and apps; the world’s largest children’s publisher; Disney store locations around the world; and the shopDisney e-commerce platform.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Buena Vista Books, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Parks, Experiences and Products.
Buena Vista Books, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.