Already applied?View Dashboard
Principal Counsel – Ad Sales LegalApply Now Apply Later Job ID 623420BR Location New York, New York, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Jun. 14, 2019
The Walt Disney Company’s (TWDC) Direct-To-Consumer and International (DTCI) division is a new, global business segment for TWDC with the mission of providing consumers around the world access to the content they want most, on the latest platforms, at a time of rapidly-evolving consumer habits. Combining the Company’s direct-to-consumer streaming services – ESPN+, the Disney SVOD service coming in 2019 and its ownership stake in Hulu -- alongside Disney’s international media businesses, DTCI aligns cutting-edge technology with world-class content and beloved brands to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver highly-personalized entertainment experiences to diverse consumers around the world. Disney Advertising Sales is a business segment of DTCI.
DTCI Legal is part of the Legal Department of TWDC and provides legal advice to DTCI and other businesses of TWDC regarding advertising, marketing, digital products, technology, and content distribution. Ad Sales legal is searching for an attorney who will work in a senior legal role exercising legal expertise, judgment and experience confidently and with autonomy.
- Draft, negotiate and oversee a wide variety of agreements related to advertising including digital and linear advertising sales, advertising technology, data collection and use, integrated marketing, research and analytics, branded and custom content, promotions and sponsorships, contests and sweepstakes, influencer marketing, out-of-home sales, programmatic, NDAs and venue agreements.
- Provide analysis and advice in connection with advertising law compliance, policy and process, including compliance with FCC and FTC guidelines, CARU guidelines, on-line behavioral advertising, native advertising, testimonials and endorsements, claim substantiation, linear and digital disclosures, data collection and use, and compliance with self-regulatory and internal company guidelines.
- Provide counsel to creative and sales teams and business executives
- Supervisory Responsibilities: This executive may supervise other attorneys or paraprofessionals and will share an Administrative Assistant whom they will help manage.
- Membership in the New York Bar or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel required.
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in a law firm advising major corporate clients and/or corporate legal department, including structuring, negotiating and drafting contracts and preferably specializing in issues related to advertising and privacy.
- Possess strong knowledge of advertising law and policy, including FCC and FTC Guidelines, CARU Guidelines, data collection and use guidelines, and other digital advertising industry standards and practices.
- Possess a good working knowledge of privacy, data security and social media to help clients navigate these areas in conjunction with TWDC’s subject matter experts.
- Ability to identify and analyze complex issues and devise solutions and strategies.
- Ability to anticipate and understand the implications of agreements, contractual provisions, and related decisions on a client, including identifying and assessing potential risks and impacts.
- Strong writing, negotiating and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to problem solve in an efficient, business-friendly, creative manner.
- An excellent work ethic and commitment to professionalism; excellent attention to detail.
- Professional, confident demeanor and superior analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships and interact effectively with people at many different levels both within and outside the company, including other attorneys, senior executives and advertisers and agencies.
- Must be willing to take “ownership” of projects and think proactively.
- Superior organizational, prioritization, and time management skills with the ability to execute multiple, high-priority projects.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Ideally twelve (12) plus years of relevant experience.
- Legal experience in an in-house corporate legal department.
- Experience working and communicating with executives.
- Law degree from an accredited law school required.
- Law degree from top tier law school.
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with The Walt Disney Company, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
The Walt Disney Company is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.