Associate Principal Counsel – Ad Sales LegalApply Now Apply Later Job ID 732397BR Location New York, New York, United States Business The Walt Disney Company (Corporate) Date posted Jan. 03, 2020
The Walt Disney Company’s (TWDC) Direct-To-Consumer and International (DTCI) division is a new, global business segment for TWDC with the mission of providing consumers around the world access to the content they want most, on the latest platforms, at a time of rapidly-evolving consumer habits. Combining the Company’s direct-to-consumer streaming services – ESPN+, Disney+, and its ownership stake in Hulu -- alongside Disney’s international media businesses (including ESPN), DTCI aligns cutting-edge technology with world-class content and beloved brands to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver highly-personalized entertainment experiences to diverse consumers around the world.
DTCI Legal is part of the Legal Department of TWDC and provides legal advice to DTCI and other businesses of TWDC regarding advertising and sponsorship, marketing, digital products, technology, and content distribution.
Reporting to the Principal Counsel of advertising, the Associate Principal Counsel (“APC”) Ad Sales Legal will provide legal advice and support for Disney Advertising Sales, a business segment of DTCI, focusing primarily on the ESPN-related sports media business. In particular, the APC will draft and negotiate agreements related to multimedia sponsorship and advertising endeavors (including branded and custom content, promotions and sponsorships, influencer marketing, venue use agreements, production services agreements, and cross-platform long-form sponsorship partnerships relating to ESPN’s portfolio of programming rights and properties). The APC will help to advise the sales team on advertising law compliance, policy and process, including native advertising, on-line behavioral advertising, testimonials and endorsements, linear and digital disclosures, and data collection and use. The APC will also need a good working knowledge of privacy, data security, social media, and basic insurance parameters to help clients navigate these areas in conjunction with TWDC’s subject matter experts.
- Structure, draft, and negotiate contracts relating to multimedia advertising sales, advertising technology, data collection and use, research and analytics, integrated marketing, branded and custom content, influencer marketing, out-of-home and social media platforms, sponsorship and promotion, programmatic advertising, software license agreements venue license agreements, production services agreements, and non-disclosure agreements.
- Strong knowledge of advertising law and policy, including compliance with FCC and FTC Guidelines, CARU Guidelines, data collection and use guidelines, and other digital advertising industry standards and practices. Advise on advertising law compliance, policy, and process, including native advertising, testimonials and endorsements, claim substantiation, on-line behavioral advertising, digital and linear disclosures and compliance with internal company guidelines.
- Membership in the New York Bar or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel required.
- Minimum of eight (8) years’ experience in a law firm advising major corporate clients and/or corporate legal department, including structuring, negotiating and drafting contracts and preferably specializing in issues related to advertising and privacy.
- Ability to identify and analyze complex issues and devise solutions and strategies.
- Ability to anticipate and understand the implications of agreements, contractual provisions, and related decisions on a client, including identifying and assessing potential risks and impacts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong drafting, negotiating and writing skills, as well as the ability to problem solve in an efficient, business-friendly, creative manner.
- An excellent work ethic and commitment to professionalism; excellent attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with all levels of co-workers and clients.
- Must be willing to take “ownership” of projects and think proactively.
- Ability to handle a high volume of work and work through projects independently with minimal supervision
- Superior organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, and prioritize workload efficiently and effectively.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- 8-10 years’ experience structuring, negotiating and drafting contracts for a law firm advising major corporate clients and/or corporate legal department, preferably specializing in issues related to advertising and privacy.
- Experience providing legal services related to regulatory aspects of digital, online and linear content and advertising, including FTC and FCC Guidelines, CARU Guidelines, other digital advertising industry guidelines, privacy, behavioral tracking, targeting, security, and related matters. Experience providing legal services to international teams.
- Experience providing legal services related to digital and mobile marketing, promotions, and related services and systems.
- Experience providing legal advice in support of advertising technology.
- Working knowledge of the sports/media landscape (for example, while knowledge of starting lineups in a particular sport is not required or necessary, understanding the college conference and pro league structure is, as is understanding how advertising is presented during sports programming); strong preference for an active user of ESPN media platforms (ESPN linear channels, digital offerings, etc.).
Required EducationLaw degree from an accredited law school required.
Preferred EducationLaw degree from top tier law school.
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Worldwide Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
Disney Worldwide Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.