Associate Principal Counsel – Disney Streaming ServicesApply NowApply Later Job ID 775121BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Feb. 25, 2021
Disney Streaming Services (“DSS”) is part of The Walt Disney Company’s (TWDC) Distribution Media & Entertainment Distribution division (DMED). DMED brings together the Company’s best-in-class product, technology, and commercialization teams together into one global organization. DMED is responsible for the P&L management and all distribution, network and engineering operations, sales, advertising, data, and certain key technology functions worldwide for the Company's content engines. DMED also manages operations of the Company's streaming services including Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+ and Disney+ Hotstar; and domestic broadcast and cable television networks.
DSS is responsible for the operation of the Company’s existing direct-to-consumer streaming services Disney+ and ESPN+, and Star+ which will launch in Latin America in June 2021. DSS aligns cutting-edge technology with world-class content and beloved brands to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver highly-personalized entertainment experiences to diverse consumers around the world.
DSS Legal is part of the Legal Department of TWDC and provides legal advice to the business regarding product development, direct-to-consumer business operations, technology, performance marketing, and content distribution. DSS is searching for an attorney who will exercise legal expertise, judgment and experience confidently and with autonomy.
- Report to DSS Legal’s Deputy Chief Counsel
- Provide analysis and advice on applicable law and compliance for the international expansion and ongoing domestic and international operation of Disney+, the launch of Star+ in Latin America, and the ongoing domestic operations of ESPN+, in conjunction with TWDC Legal’s subject matter experts and international regional counsel.
- Possess a good working knowledge of consumer law, privacy and data security, and accessibility to help DSS navigate these areas in conjunction with TWDC’s subject matter experts.
- Draft, negotiate and oversee a wide variety of agreements related to the operation of streaming services, including streaming and marketing technology, content licenses, data collection and use, performance marketing, research and analytics, data and information security, and NDAs.
- Possess strong knowledge of technology law and policy, including FTC guidelines, data collection, use and security guidelines, and other industry standards and practices.
- Supervisory Responsibilities: This executive may supervise other attorneys or paraprofessionals and will share a Contracts Coordinator whom they will help manage.
- Membership in the New York Bar or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel required.
- Four (4) years’ experience in a law firm advising major corporate clients and/or corporate legal department, including structuring, negotiating and drafting contracts and preferably specializing in issues related to direct to consumer subscription services, technology platforms, intellectual property, privacy.
- Ability to identify and analyze complex issues and devise solutions and strategies.
- Ability to anticipate and understand the implications of agreements, contractual provisions, and related decisions on a client, including identifying and assessing potential risks and impacts.
- Strong writing, negotiating and verbal communication skills, as well as the ability to problem solve in an efficient, business-friendly, creative manner.
- An excellent work ethic and commitment to professionalism; excellent attention to detail.
- Professional, confident demeanor and superior analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships and interact effectively with people at many different levels both within and outside the company, including other attorneys, senior executives, managers and engineers.
- Must be willing to take “ownership” of projects and think proactively.
- Superior organizational, prioritization, and time management skills with the ability to execute multiple, high-priority projects.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- JD or equivalent
- Strong academic credentials
- Admission to New York State Bar in good standing or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel.
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with BAMTECH, LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
BAMTECH, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.