Already applied?View Dashboard
Broadcast Infrastructure Design EngineerApply Now Apply Later Job ID 678505BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Jun. 18, 2019
Job Summary:Broadcast Infrastructure is a group of talented individuals responsible for the initial phase of the DSS live ecosystem. This phase includes large scale complex broadcast systems that perform signal acquisition, processing, and normalization of broadcast signals through to the input of ABR (web) encoders. These broadcast systems support baseband, IP, or hybrid workflows, and are located at DSS on-prem or cloud multimedia datacenters and partner locations around the world.
The Broadcast Infrastructure team is involved with the planning, procurement, design, development, installation, testing, evaluation, and life-cycle support for new and existing DSS broadcast systems. Broadcast Infrastructure consists of 4 primary teams: Design, Project Management, Systems, and Software. Each team provides a unique and valuable skill set to the organization.
The Broadcast Infrastructure Engineer is responsible for leading or aiding the evaluation, development, design, operation, installation, and testing of large scale complex broadcast systems across DSS facilities.This includes the infrastructure located at the multimedia datacenters across North America and partner locations around the world. The candidate will possess in-depth knowledge of IP networks, video matrix routers, content metadata, audio and video broadcast systems (traditional and IP based), as well as, knowledge of integrated multimedia control systems.The candidate will also ensure work is completed in a timely, safe, and cost effective manner. We are looking for candidates that can contribute to system builds from their foundation to their completion.
- Lead or aid with the evaluation, development, design, operation, installation, testing, and diagnosis of video, audio, RF, baseband, IP, signal processing, transport and transmission equipment for use in large scale complex broadcast on-prem and cloud systems.
- Provide feedback and technical reports on the progress and status of assigned work orders to both partners and staff.
- Utilize test equipment to troubleshoot, locate faults and resolve issues. This will include waveform monitors and network analyzers.
- Assist with project research, operation, planning, implementation, procedural documentation and training.
- Work directly with engineers from a variety of internal and external stakeholders and vendors to resolve interoperability and functionality issues.
- Ability to travel to remote sites (domestic and international)
- Availability for on-call support.
- Occasional weekend and overnight availability to perform work within maintenance windows.
- Degree in Electrical / Electronic Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Highly proficient in both spoken and written English
- 7 or more years of professional Broadcast and/or IT experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of video backhaul and distribution.
- Individual must be able to work under pressure and meet strict job deadlines.
- Ability to troubleshoot audio and video issues over IP networks utilizing Wireshark or other packet analyzers.
- Proficient with Mac, Windows, and Linux/Unix operating systems.
- Experience with managing video and audio routing switcher hardware.
- Understanding of A/V signal flows, network topology and the OSI Model.
- Ability to read, interpret and modify system design documentation.
- Experience with communicating with internal and external stakeholders.
- Lifting of heavy objects up to 50 lbs.
- Programming experience is highly desirable, but not required.
- Experience with working in live broadcast production environments.
- Comprehensive knowledge of both SMPTE and EBU standards.
- Experience with video encoding and assorted CODECs.
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; the upcoming Disney subscription video service; and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.