Copy Chief - FiveThirtyEightApply Now Apply Later Job ID 714573BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Walt Disney Television Date posted Oct. 25, 2019
- Manage workload by distributing articles and graphics to copy editors and quantitative editor, including daily stories and longer-term projects.
- Help oversee the distribution of editing resources, making decisions about which stories need more time and care and which need less.
- Copy edit and fact-check articles and projects, preparing them for publication.
- Work with story editors and graphics editors to schedule each article.
- Help establish and maintain FiveThirtyEight’s style guidelines.
- Minimum 7 years of experience as an editor in print or digital journalism.
- Minimum 3 years of experience as a copy editor -- including experience with quantitative journalism, statistics and data.
- Experience managing and evaluating staff members.
- A meticulous eye for detail and a commitment to producing the highest-quality journalism possible.
- A strong, demonstrated record of successfully collaborating with co-workers in a fast-paced newsroom environment.
Demonstrated expertise in editing breaking news and features, along with several major projects, with an emphasis on data journalism.
Editing and/or reporting experience in sports or politics.
Experience promoting journalistic work using social media and a proven understanding of the technical aspects of running a website.
Required EducationCollege degree or equivalent work experience.
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.