Already applied?View Dashboard
Imagine working side-by-side with industry leaders in your field of study. Imagine building upon the skills you've learned in the classroom within a family of legendary brands passionate about creating world-class experiences on a global scale. Now, imagine yourself in a paid Disney Professional Internship.
Copy Editing Internship, FiveThirtyEight - Summer 2020Apply Now Apply Later Job ID 737025BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Walt Disney Television Date posted Jan. 16, 2020
The copy desk plays a central role in the site; we touch everything FiveThirtyEight publishes. Our copy editors correct grammar and style, check articles and charts for accuracy, and work with writers and designers to explain complex subjects to a general audience.
Responsibilities:A day in the life…
You will assist our copy desk in editing stories for accuracy, numeracy, grammar and style, with a particular focus on doing fact-checking and research. You will work across all of coverage, interacting with our politics, sports, science and interactive teams.
Basic Qualifications:What you bring to the role…
You should be interested in pursuing a career in editing and should demonstrate their experience in editing at the college level. If you already have a favorite stylebook, you might be a good candidate for this position (though we use AP’s).
- At least one year of copy editing experience (could be in another internship or at a school publication).
- Experience with fact-checking.
- Personal interest in sports, politics or both.
- Experience working with data sets or exposure to statistics is a bonus.
Additional Information:Internship Eligibility:
- All students must possess unrestricted work authorization
- All students must be at least 18 years old
- At time of application, you must currently be enrolled in an accredited college or university and taking at least one class – OR – be a recent graduate of an accredited college or university within the last six (6) months.
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- All students must provide their own housing and transportation in the New York area for the duration of the internship.
- All students must be available from May/June to August/September
- All students must be able to work 40 hours/week
About Walt Disney Television:
Walt Disney Television (WDT) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, WDT offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, WDT includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Walt Disney Television.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.