Already applied?View Dashboard
Copy Editor - Part Time, FiveThirtyEightApply Now Apply Later Job ID 658662BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney ABC Television Group Date posted Apr. 12, 2019
Job Summary:FiveThirtyEight is hiring a part-time copy editor and fact-checker to join its four-person copy desk. As a member of that team, the part-time editor will help to ensure that FiveThirtyEight’s articles and other content, including static and interactive graphics, meet the site’s standards for methodological rigor, clear presentation and sound argument. A successful candidate for this position could be a journalist with years of experience on a traditional copy desk or a recent graduate who has statistical and/or coding chops and is eager to develop editing and research skills. Either way, though, the candidate will be a focused editor with an eye for detail. This position is based in New York City.
Responsibilities:The part-time copy editor reports to the copy chief and is responsible for:
- Editing FiveThirtyEight articles for accuracy, numeracy, grammar and style.
- Editing and fact-checking static and interactive graphics.
- Helping review reporter-created data sets for use in articles, charts and interactive graphics.
- One to two years of copy-editing experience (college or a graduate school acceptable), including experience working directly with reporters and other editors on the structure and theses of articles.
- Familiarity with spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Excel or other statistical tools, such as R.
- The ability to use simple math skills to work with and check the accuracy of numbers.
- The ability to work well with journalists with a range of experiences and personalities.
- An ability and willingness to ask tough questions of writers and editors.
- Some general knowledge of U.S. politics and major U.S. sports.
- Knowledge of Associated Press style.
Preferred EducationBachelor’s degree in in journalism, English or related field.
About Disney ABC Television Group:
Disney/ABC Television Group (DATG) redefines the future of media and entertainment. Delivering compelling creative, great storytelling, ground-breaking technology, high-impact marketing and innovative distribution, DATG offers multiple opportunities to build a career that supports entertaining and informing the world. A key unit of The Walt Disney Company, one of the world's most admired vertically integrated media enterprises, DATG includes global live action and animation entertainment, news, owned television stations, and radio. If you've got a passion to join our team of talented professionals we want to hear your story.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Disney ABC Television Group.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.