Already applied?View Dashboard
CounselApply Now Apply Later Job ID 668082BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Marvel Entertainment Date posted May. 15, 2019
Job Summary:Marvel seeks a transactional lawyer with at least 2 years of relevant experience to support Marvel’s digital, interactive and new media business endeavors, which include Marvel-branded websites and mobile apps, interactive video games, social media channels, and production and distribution of original short- and long-form audiovisual content for new media channels.
Responsibilities:The position will involve working on a wide variety of transactions, including:
- Structuring, drafting, and negotiating:
- License and sublicense agreements
- Co-development and publishing agreements
- Vendor and consultant agreements
- Production services agreements
- Location and rental agreements
- Talent agreements, releases and waivers
- Nondisclosure agreements
- IT agreements, including software, cloud-based, and services agreements
- Reviewing and clearing a high volume of audiovisual content, marketing materials, press releases, sweepstakes/contests/giveaways, promotions, sponsorships, & other creative assets.
- Overseeing the compliance of Marvel’s data collection and privacy practices across the company’s websites, apps, social media and other platforms with domestic and international laws and regulations (e.g., COPPA, GDPR).
- Advising business and creative clients on advertising materials and commercial messaging to ensure compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and voluntary industry guidelines, including CAN-SPAM, CASL, FTC guidelines, CARU guidelines.
- Counseling clients on day-to-day new media content production issues, including rights clearance, music-related issues, name/likeness releases, and sponsorship integrations.
- Collaborate closely with the legal team, business clients, other business areas (including Finance, IT, Brand), and colleagues across The Walt Disney Company.
Basic Qualifications:Outstanding academic credentials, strong speaking and writing skills, great personality and interpersonal skills, an entrepreneurial spirit and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collegial, in-house environment are all required.
Must have interest in and knowledge of domestic and international laws and regulations governing digital media, including intellectual property law (e.g., copyright and trademark), guild/labor issues, privacy, FTC regulations, data collection and data breaches, accessibility law, advertising and marketing law, and social media legal issues. In addition, a passion for and deep understanding of digital media and mobile technologies and emerging business models are essential.
Preferred Qualifications:Admission to New York State Bar
- Must have a J.D.
About Marvel Entertainment:
Marvel Entertainment, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is one of the world's most prominent character-based entertainment companies, built on a proven library of over 8,000 characters featured in a variety of media over seventy years. Marvel utilizes its character franchises in entertainment, licensing and publishing.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Marvel Entertainment, LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Marvel Entertainment.
Marvel Entertainment, LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.