New York, New York, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 784614BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Apr. 21, 2021
Job Summary:The Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) Technology team is leading the streaming revolution by creating amazing new entertainment products. We are at the forefront of building new and exciting technologies that delight our guests with magical experiences every time they visit our trusted and beloved Disney brands, including ESPN, Marvel, ABC, ABC News, FX, National Geographic, and many more.
The data scientist will work in our dynamic, interdisciplinary team of data scientists, data engineers, and software engineers. They will have opportunities to work on tasks in any of these disciplines, insofar as they are qualified, but will be focused primarily on data science related tasks (feature engineering, model building, model validation, etc.).
Responsibilities:The Data Scientist is a critical position within DMED Technology who specializes in applying statistical methods to meet optimization, personalization, recommendations and efficiency related challenges, in close collaboration with engineering and business partners. You will be primarily focused on delivering value by developing algorithms that drive integral underlying functionality of our various entertainment services. In addition, throughout the algorithm development process, you will perform thorough data analyses and present these findings to stakeholders across the organization to deliver insights about our products and our customers. Collaboration is key to success at Disney, and you are expected to build bridges and maintain communication across various teams throughout any given project, so strong communication skills are a must.
Areas of responsibility may include, but are not limited to:
- Translating business problems into an actionable data science project
- Presenting analyses and models in a clear, easy to understand manner
- Developing, deploying, and supporting machine learning models
- Building reports and real-time dashboards for our stakeholders
- Developing statistical experiments and analyzing the results
- Process, cleanse, and verify the integrity of data
- Participating in data validation efforts
- Data discovery and exploration tasks
- Master’s degree in a quantitative discipline (statistics, data science, mathematics, economics, etc.)
- 3+ years of work experience in data science, statistics, or predictive analytics
- Deep knowledge of statistical principles and the underlying data assumptions on which they rely
- Hands-on experience with at least 3 of the following statistical models/techniques: recommendation systems, neural networks, optimization and simulation, churn models, logistic regression, linear regression, forecasting, A/B Testing, clustering and segmentation, etc.
- Experience working with R, Python, SAS, or other statistical programming languages
- The ability to effectively communicate technical ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Familiarity with databases and data retrieval, including SQL
- A passion for data and technology
- Previous experience in entertainment
- Knowledge of the video streaming industry
- Hands-on experience with AWS or other similar cloud services
- Demonstrated delivery of machine learning techniques in real-time applications
- Graduate degree with background in statistics or machine learning
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.