Design Ops Manager
New York, NY - USApply Now Apply Later
Job ID 648842BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Direct-to-Consumer and International Date posted 19/03/2019
The DesignOps Manager will design the thing that designs the thing. You light up hear the words: Process, Workflow, Framework. This role will help shape the future of the design team at Disney Streaming Services by taking ownership of program management, communications, tooling and systems we use to execute design on a daily basis. You’ll be successful as DesignOps Manager by continually improving the quality, velocity, capabilities and culture of the design practice.
This is a permanent full-time position located in New York City (preferred) or San Francisco
Responsibilities:Our ideal DesignOps Manager Will:
Champion and Support Design Culture
- Ensure the team is set up for success as a highly-functional, multidisciplinary and self-organized unit, identifying areas of growth at both the team- and individual-level through career development frameworks
- Collaborate with our Directors in designing the recruiting experience from outreach, pipeline management, interview and onboarding
- Protect the time of everyone on the Design team and foster a creative and trusting environment
- Evangelize the value of Design throughout the org
- Champion a culture of continual improvement and enhancement to our design practice
- Be acutely aware of the team’s needs and make recommendations to our Directors on how to ensure all members experience a happy and healthy work environment
- Work with our Principal Designers to evaluate and procure the tools we use for design, prototyping and research, for the highest level of efficiency and quality
- Codify the communications tools and practices within the design practice
- Plan, define, and manage our operational strategy, establishing workflow and process standards and best practices
- Establish a streamlined process for stakeholder buy-in and executive approvals
- Work with program management to create project management methodology that supports design
- Support, scale and evangelize our design systems program throughout the org
- Work with our Research Lead to facilitate research operations
- Establish a systematic framework for managing incoming projects and ensure the team is properly resourced
Basic Qualifications:Our Ideal DesignOps Manager Is:
- Expert in industry-standard design tools including Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator, as well as workflow and asset management tools including Abstract, Zeplin and Jira
- Experienced (5+ years) as a team lead, design manager or similar role
- Experience (2+ years) managing processes and workflows across a multidisciplinary team, including product designers, motion designers, production designers, UX writers, researchers and project managers
- A strong portfolio showcasing experience working on consumer facing products, demonstrating design thinking methodologies, spanning the full product development process, from discovery to deployment
- Experienced on large design teams (20+)
- Strong communication and presentation skills, and proven ability to effectively get buy-in at all levels and across cross-functional teams
- Continually researching new design tools and able to make informed recommendations based on team needs, both existing and future-looking
- Self-managed in organizing your work and executing on it
- An advocate for design systems and an architectural and systematic approach to product design
- Sought after for insights and best practices by teams extending outside of the design practice
- Bachelor’s degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI) or related field required
Additional Information:This role will report to the Director, Product Design
About Direct-to-Consumer and International:
Comprised of Disney’s international media businesses and the Company’s various streaming services, the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment aligns technology, content and distribution platforms to expand the Company’s global footprint and deliver world-class, personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world. This segment is responsible for The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer businesses globally, including the ESPN+ sports streaming service, programmed in partnership with ESPN; the upcoming Disney-branded direct-to-consumer streaming service; and the Company’s ownership stake in Hulu. As part of the Direct-to-Consumer and International segment, Disney Streaming Services, developer of the ESPN+ and Disney-branded streaming platforms, oversees all consumer-facing digital technology and products across the Company.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Direct-to-Consumer and International.
Disney Streaming Services LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.
Watch Our Jobs
Sign up to receive new job alerts and company information based on your preferences.