Director, Diversity & Inclusion Strategy, Disney Theatrical GroupApply NowApply Later Job ID 978755BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Theatrical Group Date posted Jun. 27, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
Disney Theatrical Group (DTG) is seeking an expert in Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, and passion for exceptional live entertainment that define our business. The Director, Inclusion Strategies acts as a strategic leader, D&I practitioner and day-to-day collaborative consultant to business leaders, department heads, and HR partners, providing subject matter expertise on relevant inclusion practices and enhancing our inclusion commitment both inside and outside the company.
The Director, Inclusion Strategies will report to the SVP, Strategy & Revenue at DTG, with regular access to the President & Producer, and partners closely with the Director, Human Resources. The role will also have a reporting line into the VP, Representation, Inclusion Strategy & Engagement at The Walt Disney Studios (TWDS).
The role has 1.5 direct reports and is based in New York, NY. The nature of the live entertainment business requires regular and consistent on-site engagement, all of which is managed within DTG’s flexible work environment; this role occasionally requires on-site engagement on evenings and/or weekends. Minimal travel required.
Responsibilities:In partnership with DTG business leaders & HR partners, the role will:
DEVELOP, DRIVE, ASSESS AND REFINE DTG’S D&I STRATEGY
- Lead as a D&I Practitioner. Build and drive a strategic plan for D&I with a focus on people, market and culture and aligned with The Walt Disney Company’s 6 strategic pillars (Transparency, Representation, Accountability, Community, Content, and Culture)
- Continuously enhance D&I practices by providing insights that increase awareness of market/industry trends and sharing best practices to support an inclusive environment
- Evaluate and report the effectiveness of D&I activities and their impact on business results
- Provide research and data to reinforce diverse narratives
- Share, and tailor if necessary, enterprise-wide trainings, activities, events, and other opportunities for DTG’s employees to engage on D&I subject matter
- Liaise with TWDC and TWDS core Inclusion teams on recommendations, referrals and partnerships as connected to overall corporate strategy
- Operationalize enterprise-wide focused priorities, such as sponsoring programs for a particular population
- On occasion, in conjunction with TWDS Inclusion team, identify and manage cultural consultants and subject matter experts to advise on a variety of projects; identify, manage, and liaise with non-profit and community organizations for engagement
- Guide and mentor Business Employee Resource Groups (BERGs) leadership
- Support the capability building of BERGs across the enterprise by facilitating meaningful engagement between DTG leadership and BERGs
- Create and moderate brave spaces for honest & practical dialogue around EDI while challenging conventional wisdom
- Provide on-site support and consistent office hours for 1:1 employee dialogue on issues related to D&I
- Invite consultants and subject matter experts to share D&I best practices
- Identify, develop and foster relationships with industry thought leaders, consultants and partners to apply best practices and help drive an inclusive culture
- Represent DTG on D&I-related topics at conferences, professional associations and business meetings; participate on numerous external committees on DTG’s behalf
- Represent DTG within industry-specific organizations including, but certainly not limited to, The Broadway League, Black Theatre United, Black Theatre Coalition, Broadway Advocacy Coalition, and more
- Assess, refine & increase the value of partnerships from a resource and TWDC brand POV
- Partner across DTG and TWDS HR to develop and implement tightly integrated solutions that drive inclusive behaviors and business practices at all levels. Examples could include:
- Develop and deliver internal employee training, resources and programming to further advance a culture of inclusion
- Consult with HR to diversify talent pipelines and external/industry partners to connect DTG with high caliber talent
- Recommend onboarding and retention strategies for diverse talent segments
- Serve as trusted counsel to business leaders on D&I matters. Examples could include:
- Work with Production to advise on D&I topics specific to DTG’s productions, including pointing production teams to appropriate community partners
- Work with Marketing, Publicity and Social Media teams to identify and recommend diverse narrative and storytelling opportunities that serve to sell DTG’s shows to the widest, most diverse audience possible
- Work with Domestic Distribution to share D&I best practices to tour venue leadership
- Work with DTG’s licensees to share D&I best practices
- Develop and share an ongoing & inspiring narrative about D&I progress against strategy
- To be successful, this leader needs to have four core characteristics:
- A keen mind for business and business performance
- A deep understanding of what drives business cultures
- A natural orientation to collaboration, with inherent understanding about when to lead and when to support
- The ability to garner trust from employees at all levels
- 10+ years of progressive leadership experience in D&I, business, marketing, HR, production, business affairs or related area
- Knowledge of D&I best practices and innovative talent trends in the marketplace
- Demonstrated success leading and influencing, as an executive champion, the practice of D&I
- Capabilities around and experience in leading the integration of multiple data sources (including primary and secondary research, social media) into clear, actionable insights and stories
- Leads with the business in mind; thinks and acts strategically
- Cultivates their own curiosity AND focuses on impact
- Moves quickly, with regular communication and visible progress against objectives
- Effectively builds partnerships and influences stakeholders and decision-making at all levels of a complex, global organization
- Equally comfortable in quantitative and qualitative environments
- Manages focused, successful outcomes with external partners
- Communicates in clear and compelling ways (written/verbal) and adapts appropriately for the environment
- Builds concrete solutions
- Challenges accepted wisdom
- Sees around the corner, understands long-term trends
- Leads so that others choose to follow
- Commitment to actively being part of and supporting a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace
- Models and supports the mission and values of The Walt Disney Company and Disney Theatrical Group by demonstrating inclusive behavior and maintaining a safe and professional working environment
- Familiarity with Disney IP
- Passion for and work within the live entertainment industry
- Master’s Degree in related field
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college in Human Resources, Business Administration or related field or combination equivalent work experience
Additional Information:DTG is committed to providing the highest quality opportunities for the widest, most diverse group of talented professionals throughout their career trajectory. We encourage applications from individuals whose backgrounds are currently underrepresented in the field of theater, inclusive of race, ethnicity, class, gender identity or expression, disability status, and sexual orientation.
About Disney Theatrical Group:
The Disney Theatrical Group, a division of The Walt Disney Studios, is among the world’s most successful commercial theatre enterprises, producing and licensing live entertainment productions and events around the globe. Its nine Broadway titles, including the current Broadway productions of The Lion King, Aladdin and this year’s Frozen, have been seen by over 160 million theatergoers worldwide. The division also delivers live shows through its license to Feld Entertainment, producer of Disney on Ice and Marvel Universe Live. Additionally, the division licenses full-length and junior and kids adapted titles for regional, school and community theatre productions.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Buena Vista Theatrical Group Ltd., which is part of a business we call Disney Theatrical Group.
Buena Vista Theatrical Group Ltd. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.