Already applied?View Dashboard
Director of DevelopmentApply Now Apply Later Job ID 564706BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Studio Entertainment Brand Marvel Date posted Jun. 12, 2018
Job Summary:The role of this New York-based Director of Development is to support the Marvel New Media group in all areas of the development, production and management of original content, both for Marvel-owned platforms and other third-party distribution outlets.
This person will be responsible for managing a wide range of projects that support both New Media and other Marvel lines of business. The role includes work in content strategy, talent outreach, production and coordination with the sales, audience development, marketing and product teams. The role will involve some management of other Marvel staff members as well as heavy collaboration both with other Marvel departments and companies outside of Marvel.
- Development of new content for a variety of formats and platforms. This work will entail collaboration with internal Marvel departments, as well as external production companies
- Creation and review of treatments and one-pagers for various editorial, audio and video projects being run by the Marvel New Media team
- Production management of short-form and long-form content for both owned and third-party platforms; including working with internal and external producers on the planning of projects and ensuring timetables and budgets are adhered to
- Support of individual productions through creative notes as well as the overseeing of dissemination of rough cuts for review, managing third-party relationships, final asset delivery, etc
- Collaboration with Sales and Partnerships in the creation of sponsored and branded content. Will need to lead brainstorms for content ideas, oversee the content planning and ensure production is executed as needed
- Collaboration with other Marvel lines of business in content creation to support larger Marvel initiatives. Will be responsible for leading brainstorms, creating content packages and strategies and tracking the production, approval and release schedules of content
- Coordination with Legal, Business Affairs, Brand, etc…to ensure that Marvel is protected and all risks have been addressed and discussed
Candidate will report directly to the VP, Development and Production Management.
- At least 5 years of production experience – preferably for a media or entertainment related company. Experience in documentary and narrative video content is not necessary, but preferred
- At least 5 years in platform agnostic content development and management.
- Proficient computer skills, emphasis on current social media platforms
- The ability to work with a team to take a video project from the kernel of an idea to a finished product (whether scripted or unscripted) – while overseeing all financial, technical and logistical aspects of the production
- The dexterity and demeanor to work with a variety of personalities and teams of people both inside and outside of the company to accomplish the goals set forth
- Great oral and written communication skills and a comfort speaking to large groups of people
- An instinct for a story's lifecycle across multiple digital platforms
- Mature, interpersonal skills with an openness to objective, constructive criticism
- Experience in the distribution of short-form or long-form content for digital and broadcast platforms
- Experience managing a diverse group of external production companies.
Required EducationBachelor’s degree (TV/Film/Journalism or related field) or equivalent work experience
Marvel Entertainment, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is one of the world's most prominent character-based entertainment companies, built on a proven library of over 8,000 characters featured in a variety of media over seventy years. Marvel utilizes its character franchises in entertainment, licensing and publishing.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Marvel Digital Media Group LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Marvel.
Marvel Digital Media Group LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.