Engineering Manager, Billing
New York, New York, United StatesApply NowApply Later
Job ID 808854BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution Date posted Nov. 11, 2021
As a manager in Growth Life, you will help cultivate an environment where people can do their best work through critical thinking, coaching, and career advocacy. You will lead the delivery and quality of your team’s commitments to its customers and collaborate across the organization to ensure appropriate prioritization. You should have a passion for engineering mentorship, team building, and empathy-driven development.
Within Growth Life the billing team is responsible for ensuring that users are billed correctly and efficiently across all product lines of Disney Streaming, Hulu, Disney plus, ESPN plus, etc. You have a great opportunity to have an impact on the design of high traffic, multi-region web services across all the engineering teams at Disney Streaming.
- Lead a team of hardworking engineers that are crafting, building, and maintaining large-scale backend service.
- This is a hands-on leadership role. Work closely with senior engineers of your team, to design the next generation of Disney Streaming's billing platform. You will be encouraged to help your team with the development and design of their critical projects.
- Build a best-in-class software development team through a combination of training, career development, recruiting, and process improvement; to ensure that all software conforms to the highest quality standards.
- Direct daily operations of the team - carrying out priorities, monitoring and analyzing operational efficiency metrics and ensuring problems are identified and solved quickly and efficiently
- Foster a culture that uses metrics to make informed decisions and guide change; balance architectural and design considerations such as performance, scalability, reusability and flexibility issues.
- Collaborate with product managers and other business partners to achieve functionality & promote your team’s work across all organizations.
- Collaborate with your peer leadership team in this space to design and architect robust API contracts and scalable microservices for internal clients
- Contribute to the design and delivery of an end to end solution supporting our subscriber journey leading to the best experience for our internal technical & business partners as well as our Hulu customers
- Mentor junior engineers on the team
- Be the go-to person on technical questions
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related degree
- 5+ years of software engineering experience
- 2+ years as a people manager, leading engineering teams
- An understanding of organizational strategy and engineering growth
- Embrace engineering best practices
- Programming skills in any main programming language
- Experience building high performance backend systems in large scale
- Excellent communication, collaboration skills and a strong teamwork ethic
- Quality-first mindset with focus on test automation and CI/CD
- The ability to jump into a project and contribute immediately to both architecture and implementation
- Strive for excellence and strong analytical skills
- Prior experience working with AWS
- Prior experience working with Scala
About Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.