Executive Vice President, Editorial - ABC NewsApply NowApply Later Job ID 844229BR Location New York, New York, United States Business General Entertainment Content Date posted Sep. 02, 2021
ABC News’ nearly 2,000 employees are part of Disney General Entertainment (DGE), the iconic collection of The Walt Disney Company’s (NYSE: DIS) entertainment and news properties. In addition to ABC News, DGE’s collection of renown content brands include 20th Television, ABC Signature, ABC Entertainment, Disney Branded Television, Freeform, FX, Hulu Originals, National Geographic and Onyx Collective creating original entertainment and news programming for the company’s streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks. DGE annually produces over 4,500 hours of programming for Disney+, Hulu, Star; and the ABC, Disney Channel, Freeform, FX and National Geographic networks, as well as third-party platforms and networks. During the 2020-2021 season, the group produced the No. 1 scripted series across 14 different streamers and networks, and garnered a combined total of 205 Emmy Award nominations across daytime, primetime and news segments.
Responsibilities:This newly created role reports to the President of ABC News and is responsible for creative oversight, strategy, management and editorial direction across the News division. This role will lead the evolution of ABC News through direct oversight of “Good Morning America”, “World News Tonight”, “The View”, “This Week”, “20/20” and “Nightline”, as well as Special Events, Booking and Integrated Content Strategy. The person in this job is responsible for positioning ABC News as a brand that is at the forefront of global thought leader-level journalism. This leader must must demonstrate broad knowledge of journalism ethics and excellence.
- As a member of the senior executive team, the EVP leads the editorial strategy and vision for ABC News network programming and contributes to decision-making at the highest level. The EVP will fulfil a commitment to the mission of journalism, including the idea that world-class journalism demands corporate support of editorial integrity and that the best news organizations are those with open and inclusive cultures that welcome strong and varying points of view
- Accountable for the editorial direction and quality of ABC News’ premiere programming while enhancing the overall brand, working in partnership with the SVP Streaming to ensure the News division’s programming and content reaches multi-cultural audiences across all platforms, driving engagement and maximizing revenue opportunities.
- Inspires Executive Producers and showrunners to achieve the most compelling cross-platform results
- Ensures that program content meets company policies, industry codes, FCC rules, and brand values while continually developing new product to reflect the current competitive environment
- Stays abreast of current trends across our core topic areas. Represents ABC News at industry conferences, on panels and in the media. Considered a leader in journalism
- Develops strategies to meet established goals and objectives to drive ratings, audience and revenue
- Sets short and long-term objectives to achieve budgetary goals and grow revenue
- Manages and allocates resources to achieve strategic and operational goals for both the Editorial function and in support of ABC News strategies and platforms
- Brings new and innovative approaches across the range of new platforms
- Champions an innovative and highly collaborative diverse culture that promotes idea generation, open communication, respect for others, and excellence
- Partners with HR, Finance and Operations as well as other relevant departments
- Good Morning America
- World News Tonight
- The View
- This Week
- Special Events
- Integrated Content Strategy
- Business & Operations
- News Gathering
- News Practices
- Talent Strategy & Development
- Office of the President & Process Management
- Demonstrated track record of successfully leading complicated, dynamic multi-topic programming, including several years of senior-leadership responsibility.
- Demonstrated success in building and leading editorial teams that deliver business results while maintaining a culture of trust, collaboration, and accountability.
- A high EQ leader who sets a personal example of the highest integrity. Someone whose career demonstrates a deep understanding of the connection between transparency, corporate culture and business results.
- Ability to recognize, create and communicate priorities, strategies, market opportunities, and challenges to drive growth and performance improvement
- Strategy experience, preferably within a news and/or creative environment
- Strong understanding of financials that underpin a large, complex, consumer facing business. Ideally, experience working with multi-million dollar P&Ls.
- Proven ability to develop and lead initiatives that require broad-based buy-in for success
- Broad understanding of network news and digital businesses
- Strong understanding of the creative process and ability to apply creative sensibility to content
- Ability to influence and work through others in a highly matrixed organization
- Strong external/internal network of creative programming resources
- Demonstrated success in partnering with Human Resources and other relevant departments on organizational design, professional development and hiring diverse, aspiring talent
- Proven ability to bring new and innovative approaches across a range of new platforms
- A career background in journalism or media
About General Entertainment Content:
The General Entertainment Content group creates original entertainment and news content for the Company’s streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with American Broadcasting Companies, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call General Entertainment Content.
American Broadcasting Companies, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.