Lead Software Engineer, Media EngineeringApply NowApply Later Job ID 928805BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Date posted Feb. 07, 2022 Flex Type Hybrid
- This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
Media Engineering handles audio, video, and metadata content from ingest through publish - for normalization, processing, and packaging - supporting operator tools and automation for a scalable workflow. We build logic across players and back-end services to measure, control, and optimize playback across our stack.
Our combined Disney and Hulu team is looking for hardworking team players to join the Media Engineering team, who will thrive upon the legacy of Disney and Hulu, embrace unconventional thinking, and who are passionate about contributing to The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer (DTC) experience through strategic hard work and determination.
The Lead Software Engineer reports to the Sr. Director of Software Engineering and is responsible for providing technical leadership for an engineering team to ensure the successful delivery of software services and its engineering excellence. The role provides technical expertise in building software services to acquire, manage, process and distribute media.
- Lead a software engineering team to design, build, deliver and operate software services to acquire, manage, process and distribute Disney’s media catalog.
- Build collaboratively with the team you lead and neighboring engineering teams.
- Contribute to the code base by writing and reviewing software.
- Lead technical feasibility, implementation approach, deployment strategies, and QA efforts.
- Establish engineering best practices and standards within the team to drive quality and excellence.
- Contribute to a culture of quality, innovation and experimentation.
- Mentor or coach team members best practices, technical concepts and principles of software development.
- Recruit and help hire talented software engineers.
- BA or BS or equivalent experience demonstrating an expert level understanding of software development and infrastructure
- 7+ years experience building complex distributed software services.
- Highly skilled in the software development life cycle, software architecture and writing software.
- You're practical and personable, with a succinct communication style
- Experience building multiple concurrent projects of high technical complexity
- Ability to work in a dynamic 24x7 availability environment
About Disney Streaming:
Comprised of the Company’s international business units and various direct-to-consumer streaming services, Disney Media & Entertainment Distribution (DMED) aligns technology, media distribution and advertising sales into a single business segment to create and deliver personalized entertainment experiences to consumers around the world.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business we call Disney Streaming.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.