Lead Streaming Media Engineer
New York, NY - USApply NowApply Later
Job ID 768582BR Location New York, New York, United States Business Disney Streaming Services Date posted Nov. 12, 2020
Job Summary:The Media Delivery team at Disney Streaming Services is responsible for the entire audio and video encoding supply chain from content acquisition to delivery, consisting of agile and responsive teams of technicians that perform the daily processes and procedures of our live and on-demand video streaming products. The department’s responsibilities provide round-the-clock support for these products, ensuring proper functionality across all platforms and front-end playback scenarios. The Media Delivery Live team provides technical and engineering support for our partner products, including workflow design and implementation, incident management and system health monitoring for live and VOD streaming media orchestration, and cross-team communications.
- As a Lead Media Streaming Engineer, you will be a major contributor to a small and dynamic team of engineers responsible for designing and implementing live streaming workflows for our video encoder and segmenter products. Responsibilities include designing and contributing to internal tools, scripts and dashboards that assist the team with its troubleshooting, and monitoring, of live events and channels. Working with internal and external developments team to ensure the products we maintain the have the functionality that our workflows require. You will also be a leader and teach to the larger team, providing tutorials on highly technical concepts as well as and writing up internal documentation related to workflow design and standard operating purposes. Department leads will also look to you to provide ideas on workflow & implementation optimizations, new tooling as well as monitoring dashboards. This position requires a highly skilled individual with strong technical and analytic skills.
- Expert in Linux, Mac and Windows environments
- Advanced Linux BASH scripting experience
- Knowledge of video codecs and compression, specifically H.264/AVC and H.265/HEVC
- Ability to perform advanced troubleshooting with MPEG-2 broadcast transport streams
- Experience capturing and troubleshooting with PCAPs (Via Wireshark of tcpdump) from a networking/packet delivery perspective.
- Good understanding of ABR streaming, specifically HLS
- Comfortable modifying and contributing to xml/json schema
- Advanced Knowledge of video fundamentals
- Experience with open source encoding software such as FFMPEG or GStreamer
- Experience working with media encoding platforms
- Comfortable acting as a technical lead to other departments to address and resolve problems
- Comfortable working with DSS staff around the country.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of at least one programming/scripting language, Python preferred
- Knowledge of the ANSI/SCTE 35 specification preferred.
- Strong multi-tasking abilities.
- Strong communication skills
- BA/BS in Computer Science/Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; Disney+, the dedicated streaming home for entertainment from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, National Geographic and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.